How long can a USB cable be without major losses

In my new location i need to move my wireless usb adapter about 15 feet from the pc, first of all im not sure whats the maximun distance a usb cable can be? Next where i can find one that long. Does anyone have a idea what the lenght would be or where to look for the info?

Reply to
tucker
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dan

Dan,

according to the poor man's wi site " we had 5 x 5m cheap USB 2.0 M-F extenders cobbled together for a 25m ( 75') run, for which the USB adaptor never missed a beat. " I would think that what you were powering - say for example a hard drive which would require more power the distance factor would be more of an issue. The USB hubs seem to come in two varities - powered and non powered. The non powered ones are the less inexpensive ones . The powered hubs to make a power boost to the line are the preferred variety.

rdan wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Maximum distance is 5m. You're within spec - just buy a 5m (or 15' if you're unlucky enough to live in the states) cable.

Alun Harford

Reply to
Alun Harford

" snipped-for-privacy@conninc.com" hath wroth:

16ft is the official limit. I've gone 42ft without any noticeable problems. It seems to vary with the quality of cables. I have a thin, cheezy, 6ft USB extension on my desktop that barely works. The wire guage for the 5VDC power is apparently (my guess) so thin, that the USB device is running undervoltage and craps out. I bought some really stiff and heavy cables, and find that I can go to 42ft with them. It also depends on the wireless device. My assorted 802.11b devices will work on longer cables than 802.11g devices, which run USB 2.0 instead of 1.1 and at higher data rates on the cable.

The safest bet (other than the usual trial and error) is to get an active USB cable or use a USB hub, as others have suggested. Seach Google for "active USB cable".

For really long distances, there are some expensive devices:

formatting link
of which run on CAT5.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.