cheap WIFI access in the uk and a few other questions ?

I am curious .. I had a wifi card with vodafone but they charged by data and in the end it was pretty expensive..

Now I dont mind so much just now but I have a friend who ..well hes in the funny farm and not doing well , I was hoping internet access might cheer him up so forth but of course theres no damm phone jack and hes only being given 20 a month to live on..

So then I was looking at my options and I noticed there was wifi network called cloud that seemed resonable price for a month between 20 / 30 where hes at in Inverenss , Scotland..

HOWEVER

The other option I was thinking of which may involve more cost at least initially, or someone with the know all and some karma to burn, was to find a way he could somehow hack into the phone line and use it.. at night when it was not busy.

Well if any one has any suggestions I'd apprecaite it , I can give him my old card and was going search for cheap lal top i could but him , thats not so much problem as finding a way to get affordable access , as it stand i would prob have to help pay for him if we went with the cloud option ..

thank yer all

balli

Reply to
jet_gordon
Loading thread data ...

Was it wifi or actually GPRS data? Vodafone do an "unlimited" tariff (which of course isn't really unliimited).

You could go with GPRS on that tarrif, 3G would be better but Vodafone

3G coverage is pretty crap, about 30% of the population or thereabouts which is why their 3G tariffs are cheap - no coverage!

Orange 3G is much broader but still not in Inverness i'm afraid although again, GPRS coverage should be ok according to the Orange website.

So if there's already wifi by the Cloud that seems to be the way to go yes?!

That would be illegal wouldn't it.

They'll probably have some better tariffs the more you sign up to although with the Cloud, i've never looked. As an American friend said to me "you guys get raped on hotspot charges!" which is why I use a 3G datacard when out and about.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

david it was gprs .. sorry

i looked at their wifi charges though ( vodaFone )and it was not as godo as BT open..

Cloud is not a provider it just allows suppliers to use their areas..

never heard of 3g isn't that mobile company ?

balli

Reply to
jet_gordon

It is also a provider but 3G generically is "3rd generation" and in this case UMTS data instead of GPRS. Have a look at Oranges website and the

3G data options. As of a day or so ago they changed the £45 tariff from 400MB a month to 1GB a month. Same price, just phone up to switch but like I said, it won't help you much because there's no 3G service in Inverness.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.