bluetooth in laptop

Is it safe to have bluetooth enabled on a laptop, I mean can people access my computer through by bluetooth connection? I've heard of this happening with cellphones where people could get your address book.

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

Hi!

The best answer is to always turn off system services and communications hardware you aren't using. If you aren't using the Bluetooth hardware, turn it off and reduce your attack surface. Even if you are using it, turn it off when you're done. Most computers and Bluetooth driver/stack packages make this easy to do. You'll improve your system's security a little bit and even save a tiny bit of battery life that may come in handy.

Some access could be possible depending upon software configuration, but the answer isn't really straightforward. Unexposed bugs in your Bluetooth software could result in malicious access being possible.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.