Advice on wireless adapter needed

My situation is that I'd like to be able to connect wirelessly to my home LAN from my shop, which is out in the back of my yard. My router is a Cradlepoint MBR1000. located on the oposite side of the house from the shop (located there because I need that location for optimum reception of the 3G I use for internet access). I currently am using a Netgear Wireless USB adapter (WG111v2) with my notebook, but it won't reach from the shop to the router. The notebook has an internal WiFi, but it won't connect either.

I'm looking for an alternative, (hopefully an inexpensive one), to the setup I now am using that will allow a good connection to the router. I thought maybe a different USB adapter, one with an external, directional antenna, might work, but have no idea which one to try. Any suggestions appreciated.

BTW, I'm "almost" able to connect with what I have.... I've walked the notebook out and I lose connection about half way to the shop.

-- Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir
Loading thread data ...

Hawking Technology HWU9DD Hi-Gain Wireless-G USB Network Dish Adapter

Reply to
John Navas

I understand that you want wireless connectivity in the shop, but does the link from the house to the shop also have to be wireless? If possible, a cable running from the house to the shop, terminated at an Access Point in the shop, would probably work best, but it assumes you can run such a cable.

Plan B might be to run a cable from the far end of the house, where the current networking gear is, to the end of the house nearest to the shop, then put an Access Point there. If you can almost connect from the shop through multiple walls of the house, you might have a good chance of connecting through a single wall.

Reply to
Char Jackson

or consider a plan c (a bit more) assuming you have power in the shop, you can do powerline networking, and use that as input to another wap (or wap router) (sort of the same as above, but using powerline instead of a cable)

just out of curiosity, what area do you live in? (ie region) i tried wireless from my house to shop (norther idaho), and all was fine at first, but enuf green stuff during the summer, and snow/ice in the wintermade me consider plan c (power to the shop came from the house)

Reply to
Peter Pan

That probably has a very good chance of working! There are at least 5 walls, including the outside brick wall at the back of the house, between the router and the shop, so an AP in a back window would reduce that to one!

-- Charlie Hoffpauir

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

I've never used powerline, so that is an option I should consider.

I live just south of Houston, so winter (both weeks of it) isn't really a problem, and there are no trees between the house and the shop (but there are some low shrubs that shouldn't affect line of sight).

-- Charlie Hoffpauir

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

worth a look, they make em for coax too in case you have cable in your shop... wires better, but since you already have power to your shop, you may be able to just plug em in and use em....

heres an overview of netgear products for powerline (and coax)

formatting link
(not recommending netgear, they just have a pretty good overview)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.