Add more than 1 WAP to WRT54G?

Can you hook more than one WAP54G to a WRT54G in wireless repeater mode?

Reply to
s
Loading thread data ...

Yes, but for each one you add, your thruput will drop by half. [Hint, don't start with 54MB, when you start dividing...]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Funny you should mention that. I just fixed a systems that was literally stuffed full of repeaters. (In case you haven't read any of my postings, I consider repeaters and range extender/expanders to be the technology of LAST resort).

Repeaters screw up badly when more than one is used in a common airspace. That's where the wireless client can be heard by 2 or more repeaters, each of which can talk directly to the WRT54G. The clients packet goes to both repeaters, both of which try to repeat the packet to the WRT54G. There's no collision but you double the amount of traffic that is spewed over the air. Instead of one repeater just cutting down the thruput by half, two repeaters in parallel (per previous example) cut it down by at least a factor of four (or more). Reminder, only one transmitter can be on the air at a time in a given airspace, and that includes the various repeaters.

I have no idea if the WAP54G acts in this manner but the WRE54G certainly has the problem. I had the opportunity to try 4ea WRE54Gv2 repeaters at the same time. I set them up for all the same SSID as the office router (WRT54Gv3). In theory, they should "self configure" into something useable. They didn't. I was barely able to use the system much less make any measurements. Turn off all but one repeater and I still had a 50% slowdown because the WRT54Gv2 was repeating packets from my laptop that didn't need to be repeated. Turn off all the repeaters, and everthing is really fast.

When I dragged the repeater to the window, and went down the street with my laptop, the WRE54Gv2 started acting somewhat like a normal repeater.

If you're going to build a "star" topology of repeaters, methinks WDS makes more sense. At least you have some control over which device connects to the others, with fewer surplus packets floating through the air.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.