dorm room WAP - DI-614 vs WRT54G

Our son is heading off to UW-Madison and making a list of things to bring. Their internal network web page has suggestions for WAP and they list DI-614 and WRT54G.... We have all Linksys stuff at home and it's been ok.

Any thoughts for a dorm room ?

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT build 12533.

Reply to
John Navas

I think they are just listing common routers

Their store lists a few others including 11n

What type of wifi is his eqpt. capable of 11a,b,g..N? What level of encryption is the lowest common denominator in the eqpt. he is taking, it is a college so WEP will probably be hacked and he will still be responsible for other users on his WAP. "Note: Any computers connected to ResNet through your router or wireless access point are your responsibility. For example, if a computer in the room next door connects through your wireless router to ResNet and becomes infected with a virus, the router will be quarantined until the infected computer is cleaned."

If you have a router at home that is not to old I would give him that to use for the first term and get yourself a new one.

Reply to
Bob

Perhaps I should have included this:

Reply to
Bob

yeah - tnx - I read all the stuff from ResNet....

Reply to
ps56k

Just deployed DD-WRT build 13525 (12-28-09) for a client, and it's looking very good, significantly better than 12533.

The problem with most low-end wireless routers is that they are unstable and unreliable under the kind of heavy load that kids tend to put on them. DD-WRT fixes that problem.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.