Direct IP call with X-Lite 3?

Hello

I'd like to dump Skype and call a friend using an SIP client directly, ie. no registration with a VoIP provider and just call his IP address directly.

One post in the archives says "You need to make a "SIP Proxy" like: o Direct Dial IP = Yes o Enabled = Yes. Then make a "Phonebook" entry like: o SIP URL: 1...@1.2.3.4 IP address here o ProxyID = Direct Dial IP o Speed No = 123 ", but I don't see those options in X-Lite 3.

Does X-Lite 3 allow direct IP calls? If not, what SIP client do you recommend?

Thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte
Loading thread data ...

I hope neither of you is behind NAT, or you'll have problems aplenty...

X-Lite 2? ;-)

SJphone

formatting link
) does support direct IP calls, and is one of the few available also in a version for PocketPC/WM5 (also free). The setup is a little unfriendly, but it works well.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

A pair of Grandstream Budgetone's works well enough for direct calls. (Either by using something like Pulver's FreeWorldDialup proxy

formatting link
or dialing the IP directly using the phone's IP dialing mode.) These phones even look like phones so folks aren't too put off by it. Sound quality is much better than any softphone or POTS phone I've tried. Softphones all seem to have dropouts and stutters while hardware sip phone seem to have the dedicated cpu cycles when they need them. The phones tend to hover around $60 each mailorder.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Thx guys for the info. It appears that X-Lite supports direct IP calling. Just do NOT register with server, make sure both hosts allow incoming packets on UDP 5060-5061 so they can see each other, and create accounts so you can dial "test@remoteip".

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.