Telephony question

First I would like to apologize if this is outside of the scope of this group but any helpful hints you could give me is greatly appreciated.

What i'm looking for is a black box (not sure what it's called) that other callers can call in. This black box would forward/reroute calls accordingly depending on certain circumstances. I would like to have people call in on that box and the box would reroute calls using some sort of VOIP service. What i would like to do is purchase a device and/or get information on where to look. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Gent
Loading thread data ...

You could configure Asterisk

formatting link
to do that assuming that "certain circumstances" is something that it can be made aware of.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

If VOIP is your wish, then you don't need much in the way of routing. A small PBX with verified account codes, a VOIP ATA and a PC to capture the data and you're good to go. Set the PBX for trunk-to-trunk connections, put your verified account codes in the bins, connect the serial port to capture the data and let your customers dial in on one line and out on another. You don't care what or where they dial, since VOIP will handle the billing at a flat rate or international rate, and your SMDR captures the account code and number dialed.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Asterisk is not really black box, or actually it could be if you are not a techie. My guestimation is that the OP is looking for a readily made system. The machine you are looking for is called an ACD (Automatic Call Distribution) possibly with IVR (Interactive Voice Response) features. This would allow you to route calls from one point to another based on things like time, number info or input by the callee.

Depending on the scale of things you might want to check IA

formatting link
however there are many more vendors. Just google for IVR...

Asterisk is an option. You'd need somebody to config it. Check the VoIP wiki

formatting link
for commercial support.

Arnold.

Reply to
Arnold Ligtvoet

Now what you really want...

is sometimes called a "call diverter". There are a number available from various manufacturers. They just receive a call on one line, then dial a preprogrammed number on a second line. When the second line is answered, then it connects the first line to complete the call. It will disconnect when the parties hang up. Some are remotely programmable. You just need to make the second line feed into a Vonage box or whatever voip line you choose.

formatting link
make one called the Rad-Amp
formatting link
You can also do a google search on "call diverter" and sometimes spelled "divertor"

Charles

Reply to
Charles P.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.