Dating Old Telephone Numbers

I have a few wooden coathangers that must be well over 50 years old. Two of them have the following phone numbers on them:

Handy Cleaners & Dyers

1823 So. Main St. Westmore 2369

Underwood's Depend-On-Us Cleaners Compton 1361

The first one uses the two letters in place of the numbers but instead of 5 digits, it has only four. That means it must be fairly old.

The second one uses the city name and four digits. This seems to indicate that it was from the days when a caller had to talk to an operator instead of using the dial on the telephone. I'm thinking that this was well before WW2, maybe 1920s.

I got on this website and they say that to date telephone numbers, contact a history museum, or look in old phone books at the local library.

formatting link
Any one have some further comment on a date range? Thanks.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

formatting link
email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
formatting link
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:
formatting link

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th
Loading thread data ...

NOT necessarily. Could be a small town, with only one exchange, and where it was possible to assign the prefix based on the town name. Such things, although comparatively rare, *did* happen.

There isn't any better way. Because _when_ a territory "moved up" to

7-digit numbering depended *greatly* on the territory.

It really took the advent of DDD to force all the telcos into 7-digit local numbering. Even then, many phone systems allowed "shortcut" dialing for a number of years. At least where they could do it, without conflicting with the "National" numbering plan.

Before conformance with the National numbering plan, it _was_ "anything goes", and when a locale changed schemas was totally a _local_ decision.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I used to have a coat hanger with the phone number "Green 7" on it. Wish I still had it.

Reply to
jlshelton3

instead

"anything

Thanks. I guess 'look in old phone books' was the better advice.

Reply to

"Compton" would be the name of the local switch/switchboard location. Could be a street, corner, town, city, etc. In a bigger town it was the area that the switch was in.

Scotty

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

In larger cities, it was even a more random progression - as the need for numbers exceeded what one prefix could serve, names were made up; most of them are still valid prefixes, when expanded for 7-digit local numbering.

When the additional digit was added in a given CO, the most common convention in the Bell System was to expand the original number block by adding "1" to the _prefix_; thus in your example, COmpton 1361 likely became COmpton 1 - 1361. As NNN-261-1361, it might even still be in service - a very few numbers that old still are.

As to when a given CO expanded to 7-digit form, it is as has been said wildly unpredictable. For example, in Oakland, Ca., which presently has 5 CLLIs (i.e. CO locations), and had ~7 at the time of the switchover (some were consolidated by the '60s), it appears from old phone books that all of the outlying areas expanded first; as of the mid-1940's, the downtown COs (present-day CLLI OKLDCA03) were the last left with the short numbers, even though the demand there was by far the greatest. That has always puzzled me - perhaps harder to make more subscribers, largely businesses, get new letterhead?

Regards,

Don Miller

Reply to
Don Miller

location.

numbering.

I'm sorry. I should have left more info. Compton is the city. When I grew up there the prefixes were all NEwmark, or 63x-xxxx. So this number used the city name, and four digits. I would guess that this means the hanger was from before that time, maybe before WW 2 when they still had manual switchboards. Thanks.

[snip]

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.