Re: Western Union's satellite loss [Telecom]

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:34:18 -0400, wrote, in part:

... [snip] ... > > 5) Telex was very important in 1980 but soon lost lustre as companies > got their own inexpensive fax machines and personal computers.

Telex was important enough to me throughout the '80s, at least for quick communications across multiple time zones into eastern europe (Bulgarian universities, Polish travel agents), that its availability, through bidirectional email-telex gateways made available by MCI Mail and ATT Mail was one of the big reasons I retained both those services as long as I did in those days.

While other universities had adopted email by then, it wasn't 'til quite late in the '80s that one Bulgarian university finally got a (flaky) Bitnet connection for email, and Polish travel agencies

-- at least the one Warsaw WagonsLits Cook place I had to deal with -- never did get email before they finally went under sometime in the '90s.

These days, of course, some 20 years later, they all have both fax and email (though they tend to think it important to save electricity by turning their fax machines off while the shop is closed overnight).

Cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.