Re: [telecom] History Western Union Telex ads

Western Union offered a dialup teletypewriter service

> in competition with Bell's TWX. It was called Telex. > It originated in Canada and spread to the U.S. > > Telex used Baudot. In later years it used a model > 32 Teletype, which was a three-row Baudot (five-bit) > machine.

Ultimate trivia: how many separate symbol combinations are used in the version of Murray code employed for Telex, and why?

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

According to the WU Technical Review, there were different variants of the Baudot code used in different applications. For example, certain uses had fractional symbols. Another use had weather symbols. It didn't really matter as long as the keyboard and typebars of the sending and receiving machines were coordinated.

The Wikipedia entry explains some of this.

formatting link

Reply to
HAncock4

Sorry, I didn't write my question clearly. I wasn't asking about changing keytops and type pallets, which would IIRC be at the "Presentatin" layer of the OSI Reference model: I don't doubt that it was commonplace, but (again, IIRC) I was asking about the "MAC" layer.

There are 32 combinations of bits available from a 5-unit code such as Baudot/Murray. They weren't all used, though, at least in the CCITT #2 alphabet, and I'd like to know why.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Would it be that the code point with no holes wasn't used?

Reply to
Julian Thomas

I don't know. In a sense, it was: IIRC, it was "used" to punch tape leader at the start of a message, but there were other possibilities which were never employed.

The Murray code has "Figures" and "Letters" codes, which were used to shift the platen up for the "Figures" mode and down for the "Letters" mode. They weren't used for anything else AFAIK, so that leaves (32 -

2) = 30 x 2 + 2 = 62 code points. However, some weren't used, and I've always wondered why.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

I'm not sure if this article from the WUTR answers your questions, but it is an interesting look at the code variations and teleprinters used by Western Union in the 1950s:

formatting link

Reply to
HAncock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.