Re: Reduced spam and increased security infrastructure? [Telecom]

|Just because the Internet allows age-old scams to reach millions of more |people along with the new technology based scams threatening all and |sundry, the lack of any really effective technological or regulatory |solutions means that education may be the most effective counter-measure |- however imperfect.

There are possible technological and regulatory solutions (or at least palliatives) for some of the underlying scams, and implementing them would reduce the effectiveness of those scams regardless of the delivery mechanism.

My social security number should not be the secret key that (along with a few other tidbits of data) provides so-called "identity thieves" with access to credit under my name. Because of the structure of our credit reporting industry, a no-cost, hassle-free, and well-promoted credit inquiry lock would go a long way towards solving this problem. Such a system is not in the best interests of the credit reporting agencies (who would rather sell consumers credit monitoring services) or their business customers who (at least until the economy collapsed) benefited from the ability to offer "instant credit." As a result, even in states where the service is required to be available, it is typically not hassle- or cost-free.

My account and routing number should not be sufficient to make otherwise unauthorized withdrawals from my checking account. Consumers should be able to block ACH debits from their checking accounts. This is inconvenient for the banks' business customers so the banks prohibit it even as they offer those same businesses more comprehensive ways to block ACH debits from their own accounts. (N.B. ACH is not Check21.)

Zero knowledge proofs offer a computationally secure authentication mechanism that does not involve disclosing anything of value. Instead of such technology we see a push for more personal information, biometrics, RFID, DNA, and anything else that can operate against the consumer for purposes of nonreputability.

Of course, regulating financial institutions to protect consumers is not as flashy as regulating the Internet. One might think that recent events would change this, but I don't have high hopes.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

I think the problem is really quite simple. Credit bureaus sell information about you. They do so without making any effort to verify its truthfulness. Make them liable for damages if you are harmed in any way by their sale of untrue information.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

That is very hard to do since they claim that the information they supply to creditors and others has been passed on to them by creditors and all they are doing is cataloging and passing it on.

I was involved in a class action against the 3 major bureaus because they were being paid by banks and others to send credit card offers, to people meeting the requirements for getting the card. This was before the opt-Out rule. The claim was they were making money by selling our private credit data for other then the owners of that data requesting they give it to a creditor, even now there is question on you having to ask them to stop. We were on of the named plaintiffs in the case and out attorney made a bunch of money on the case, We got a pretty good settlement also, and yet we still get these offers all the time, even though I have and continue to request they no longer sell that data, I have gone as far as putting a full block on my credit reports. I call each time I get one of these and point it out to their lawyers that they agreed not to do this anymore. They make so much money on these reports that they can well afford the fines, what needs to be done is make a criminal case, but no government agency want to make a case.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.