POTS Announcing Hardware -- What's It Called? [Telecom]

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
I'm trying to figure out what to call the hardware that takes an audio
feed and puts it out on multiple POTS lines.  The equipment has
hardware that talks to each line independently, answers the call,
takes the audio and puts it out onto the phone line, and times out
after X number of minutes, drops the call when the caller hangs up,

I can't buy the equipment if I don't know what it's called.  I'm not
really talking about voice cards such as Dialogic cards, but a self-
contained unit such as Automation Electronics of Oakland used to make.


And vendor recommendations?

Re: POTS Announcing Hardware -- What's It Called? [Telecom]
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:27:06 -0500 (EST), David Kaye

Quoted text here. Click to load it

In the simplest sense, you're looking for a call sequencer or a
Multi-Line digital announcer.  They are getting harder to find because
many of the newer phone systems have that capability built-in.

You buy them by the number of ports required and features needed.  For
example.  If your doing this for a church so shut-in's could listen to
a Sunday service, a Viking 6-port unit with barge-in would probably
handle it.  However, an NCH Software Broadwave would do it for tons
less, even to users with dial-up internet access.

I think the problem you're going to find is a reasonable system that
plays a message and times out after x minutes.  Your sticker shock is
about $4K for a bare bones 12-port Viking with thin statistics and no
timeout and $1K for a 4 port DL4 from another vendor..  Compare that
to a Sub $1K add in to a Panasonic PBX, or a $2k voice mail/auto
attendant sytem, and you can see why it's not being offered by many

Some vendors to check out  
http://www.interalia.com /


Site Timeline