"Get Smart" TV show coming as movie [telecom]

The wonderful 1960s sitcom, "Get Smart" has been remade into a movie. The show was a spoof of the spy genre popular on TV and the movies at that time. The main character, spy Maxwell Smart Agent 86, was a bumbler.

The show had many telephone jokes. The most famous was the Max's "shoe phone", that is, the base of his shoe came off and was a telephone. (Ok, in 2008 that's no big deal, but in 1968 it sure was.) One time an enemy spy tried to take his shoe phone but Max refused "I still have 5 message units left!".

Like all good spies, Max had a bunch of secret gadgets to help him, some of which didn't work as planned, and some of which he didn't use as directed.

The spy business required a number of "fronts". The show had Chinese Laundries, delicatessens, dry cleaners, and other neighborhood small businesses. Sometimes the spy work was just a front because the real money was in the cleaning business.

The opening of the show featured Max using a pay phone that turned out to be a secret elevator into his agency's HQ. In ads for the new movie, we see Smart trying to use the phone to no avail, then descending partway down, then the phone falling on top of him.

I don't know how good the movie will be. But if the TV show is broadcast in syndication, check it out. If anyone does see the movie, please let us know what it's like.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

My favorite was the Cone of Silence.

The movie has a chance of being good. The star (can't think of his name) is perfect for the role.

Maxwell Smart was a less subtle version of Inspector Cluso.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Steve Carell.

I've seen some previews. He's PERFECT.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My favorite was the Cone of Silence.

The movie has a chance of being good. The star (can't think of his name) is perfect for the role.

Maxwell Smart was a less subtle version of Inspector Cluso.

Mark L. Smith snipped-for-privacy@stones.com

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Smith

Steve Carrel, who was the star of _The Forty Year Old Virgin_, and is seen weekly as the star of the NBC series, _The Office_.

That's Clouseau. Would you like a rheum?

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

I actually think Carrel is a good choice to play Smart. He's a funny guy.

***** Moderator's Note *****

And on that note, we end the thread.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.