First spam message was sent in 1864 over telegraph wires [Telecom]

One of my favorite drinks is Snapple Lemon Tea. Under the bottecap of every Snapple beverage is a trivia item, and one that I haven't seen before today contained this tidbit:

Real Fact #950

The first spam message was transmitted over telegraph wires in 1864.

Googling found this web page:

formatting link

which corroborates that tidbit and the date as 1-June-1864 with this scanned typewritten message:

TO THE EDITOR OF THE TIMES

Sir, -- On my arrival home late yesterday evening a "telegram," by "London District Telegraph," addressed in full to me, was put in my hands. It was as follows: --

"Messrs. Gabriel, dentists, 27, Harley-street, Cavendish-square. Until October Messrs. Gabriel's professional attendance at 27, Harley-street, will be 10 till 5."

I have never had any dealings with Messrs. Gabriel, and beg to ask by what right do they disturb me by a telegram which is evidently simply the medium of advertisement? A word from you would, I feel sure, put a stop to this intolerable nuisance. I enclose the telegram, and am,

Your faithful servant,

Upper Grosvenor-street, May 30. M. P.

As stated in a sidebar at the above URL:

This is one of the earliest known unsolicited electronic messages. But telegrams were costly to send, which limited spam.

Bingo! Charge for email and spam will disappear. Yeah, sure. :-)

Thad

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

There were also scams involving telegraphy. A couple I read about:

A boy got some telegraph company stationery and a reasonable facsimile of a telegraph delivery boy's uniform. He prepared a fake telegram, put into an envelope, and took it to a company saying it was a collect telegram. When they paid, he gave them the fake and left.

An executive of a U.S. company was traveling in Europe. The scammers sent a message to his company, ostensibly from him, telling them to accept a shipment of chemicals and pay $500 C.O.D. The company paid, and the chemicals turned out to be bottles of colored water.

Reply to
Jim Haynes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.