Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

T-Mobile now throttling mobile hotspots when network is congested [telecom]
T-Mobile now throttling mobile hotspots when network is congested Phone data prioritized during congestion even if you pay extra for 4G tethering. JON BRODKIN T-Mobile USA has begun throttling mobile...

Replaced Galaxy Note 7 explodes on a Southwest flight [telecom]
Replaced Galaxy Note 7 explodes on a Southwest flight It looks like Samsung's exploding battery woes may not be behind it just yet. According to a report from The Verge, a Southwest Airlines flight...

Verizon workers can now be fired if they fix copper phone lines [telecom]
Verizon workers can now be fired if they fix copper phone lines Verizon has told its field technicians in Pennsylvania that they can be fired if they try to fix broken copper phone lines. Instead,...

AT&T to end targeted ads program [telecom]
AT&T to end targeted ads program, give all users lowest available price Controversial traffic scanning program, Internet Preferences, meets its demise. JON BRODKIN AT&T is getting rid of Internet...

Christie has final say on bill offering unemployment to striking workers [telecom]
By Samantha Marcus TRENTON - With an Assembly vote Thursday, the Legislature sent Gov. Chris Christie a bill allowing striking workers to collect unemployment benefits. The legislation sprang up...

The iPhone 7 Problems And Issues Users Are Facing [telecom]
The iPhone 7 Problems And Issues Users Are Facing By Christopher Morris The iPhone 7 has already generated a huge amount of headlines in its short lifetime, and mostly the response to the iconic...

Why you may be able to finally ditch that old unlimited plan [telecom]
Why you may be able to finally ditch that old unlimited plan Q. Do I still need my unlimited-data plan? I've been holding onto it for years. A. Things have changed since last year, when I contemplated...

Rural Broadband Bill Introduced by Senators [telecom]
By Laura Hamilton, CED, Thu, 09/29/2016 U.S. Senators Shelley Moore Capito ( and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) introduced a bill on Wednesday they say could help close the digital divide in rural areas...

Set-Top Box Proposal Pulled From FCC Meeting [telecom]
By John Eggerton, B&C, 9/29/2016 It appears FCC chairman Tom Wheeler could not secure the three votes needed for his set-top revamp proposal, at least not yet. That comes after major pushback on the...

Verizon-INCOMPAS 'Compromise' On FCC Business Data Is Anticompetitive [telecom]
By Fred Campbell A regulatory "compromise" between Verizon and trade association INCOMPAS to set prices for business data services is effectively an anticompetitive agreement that's designed to...

Verizon technician admits he sold customer data for years [telecom]
A former Verizon Wireless network technician in Alabama has admitted to using company computers to steal and sell private customers' location and call data over a period of five years. As Ars Technica...

Mystery Calls [telecom]
I have been getting several calls a day to my Google Voice number from seemingly random callerids. If I answer, nobody is there. If I don't answer, I get a brief empty voicemail message. Although the...

Phone Makers Could Prevent Texting by Drivers. Why don't they? [telecom]
Apple and digital giants have developed potentially lifesaving technology to block texting while driving, but it's still not being deployed. With driving fatalities rising at levels not seen in 50...

Snowden on Google Allo: "Don't Use It" [telecom]
Following the launch of Google's messaging app "Allo" and its accompanying Assistant bot, security experts are up in arms over Google reneging on a promise [to] better protect its users....

How to send posts to The Telecom Digest [telecom]
I got a complaint from a reader about bounced emails that he submitted: I'm sending these instructions on how to send new posts and replies to the Digest, in case anyone has had similar problems....