How to send posts to The Telecom Digest [telecom]

I got a complaint from a reader about bounced emails that he submitted: I'm sending these instructions on how to send new posts and replies to the Digest, in case anyone has had similar problems. Please file this message for future reference.

There are two ways to post to the Telecom Digest:

***** Via Email *****

Using the address telecomdigestsubmissions [atsign goes here] telecom-digest.org. Note that the "From" address shown on mail sent to email subscribers includes a part that says "remove-this" as an anti-spam measure. If you subscribe to "Individual" emails, and hit "reply" in your email client to reply to an email, you must remove the "remove-this." part of the domain name before you send your reply, or it will bounce.

If you subscribe to the "Digest" version of this publication, PLEASE try to include the "threading" information from the message(s) you are replying to, i.e., the "Message-ID", field from the actual email which was made a part of the digest, NOT the fields from the edition of the Digest that you got the message out of. (This information is included automatically if you are subscribed to "individual" messages instead of to the "Digest" version)

For example, a recent edition of the digest had this message in the top slot:

Message-ID: Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:27:49 -0400 From: Monty Solomon Subject: [telecom] Yahoo hit in worst hack ever, 500 million accounts swiped

Yahoo hit in worst hack ever, 500 million accounts swiped. ...

... and I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could include the first line when you copy & paste the message into your "create email" window. Of course, I'd appreciate having the same subject line in your email, and please add the "Re: " prefix to the start of the Subject line to make it clear that you are submitting a reply.

It's also helpful if you "tag" the quoted text > Yahoo hit in worst hack ever, 500 million accounts swiped.

The internet company, being bought by Verizon, says a state-sponsored actor > stole email addresses, passwords and birth dates. Change your passwords. Now.

(Rest of quoted message snipped)

Please note that the right-facing arrow is the standard "quoted text" marker on Usenet. It makes it much easier to read your post when other readers can skim over things they've already seen, and/or set their email clients to compress quoted text, so the ">" in the first column of EVERY quoted line is important.

***** Via Usenet *****

If you read The Telecom Digest via the Usenet group comp.dcom.telecom, you need only post a new message, or hit "reply" to an existing message, and it will be automatically routed to our inbox with proper threading info included. This applies to Google and Yahoo Groups users as well.

Thank you!

Reply to
Telecom Digest Moderator
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 23:04:42 -0400, Telecom Digest Moderator wrote, in Message-ID: :

"Will be?" More like "Should be," in my experience, "but isn't." I find the address works, tho'.

But thanks for the Message-ID inclusion request. New to me. Appreciated.

I have no experience either way in those regards. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I meant "If you are using a newsreader to read the Telecom Digest via the Usenet group comp.dcom.telecom. ..."

In other words, if you use the newsreader feature of Thunderbird, or pine, or some other nntp client, you won't have to worry about threading info. The issue only comes up if you get the DIGEST version of The Telecom Digest, via email.

You're welcome. It's ONLY necessary IF you are replying to a message you read in the *DIGEST* version of The Telecom Digest. If you have your subscription set to receive individual emails, or if you use a newsreader to read the Digest, don't worry about it.

Both Google and Yahoo Groups will enter your replies directly into the Usenet system, so threading info will be preserved.

HTH.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
The Moderator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.