OT: phishing

In computing, phishing (also known as carding and spoofing) is a form of social engineering, characterised by attempts to fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy person or business in an apparently official electronic communication, such as an email or an instant message. The term phishing arises from the use of increasingly sophisticated lures to "fish" for users' financial information and passwords.

I get tons of phishing e-mails. Uusally two or three everday on some accounts. When they first started I used to forward them to my regional FBI office, but there are so many I just delete them anymore. I'm sure the local FBI agents get plenty of heads up on them.

Today I decided to do something just for fun and visit a couple of those fake site links. They are quite sophisticated. They even have number checking algorithims in place. I enter several sets of fake data, and even a couple universal system test numbers and the phishing sites promptly notified me there was something wrong with the number. LOL.. I did not go further to see if they would accept a legitimate card number for obvious reasons, but over all I was impressed with the layout. Its sad really that somebody with that much talent doesn't feel they can make a good living from legitimate use of their skills.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

I get them all the time especially from phishermen spoofing Paypal...it looks incredibly real. Ebay too.

I feel bad for people that fall for that stuff.

I even get them from a "bank" I don't have an account with.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

What most of them do is basic HTML stuff.

SImply visit a victim site, SAVE IT, they then have all the images, and the pages they need to make theirs look identical. They can even set the BASE url to the victim site. No big deal, thats basic HTML stuff. All links inside go back to the original site. They create fake names that look like the original one, or apart of it. The form inputs take you to their site though, and may even redirect right back to the victim site so you may never realise you were just HAD.

As for the CC check, thats available for free on hundreds of scripting sites. It doesnt mean its going to acutally look up the CC number, its just looking to see if its the correct format for that type of card.

Basically they dont have any real skills that arent worth more than a couple hundred $$ a week. Thats why they are out Stealing peoples login and CC info, they are just thiefs.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

I've talked to a couple of the commercial crime guys at the VPD (Vancouver Police Department) and they've told me that 99% of the "phishing" sites they've investigated are being run by Asian gangs. If you visit the base URL of any of the ones I've received they're all Chinese or Malaysian websites. Somehow these guys are able to "crack" the webhost ISP's or the company's main server and "piggy-back" onto them. That alone is pretty darn scary. I don't get that many "phishing" emails. Mostly from people trying to spoof "Paypal". I forward all of them to the webmaster of the base URL as well as "PhoneBusters". These days, Outlook 2003 takes care of a lot of SPAM. The SPAM blockers employed by Telus and Mecca (two hosting services I use) are excellent as well. It's so nice to be able to receive emails these days that are "filtered" to the point where opening one isn't an offer to have my breasts enlarged. :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

i've been appoved for some 30 loans from banks i dont have accounts with .. ill let you know what huge amount i end up borrowing ..

Oh yeah that Nigerian Chap is extremely nice, all that money to share amongst us :-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

I thought that I was the only one getting that one.... :( guess ill have to share the millions.

James

JoeRas> But here's something pretty cool! I got an e-mail from some doctor

Reply to
James

Yeah... these phishing e-mails are pretty obvious if you have half a brain.... But here's something pretty cool! I got an e-mail from some doctor trapped in Nigeria who wants to filter several million dollars through my bank account.. I should make a tidy sum! I'll let you know how it works out ;-)

Reply to
JoeRaisin

She's low-balling you, Arafat was worth an estimated 2 billion $ when the old terrorist croaked

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Gotcha beat. I got an email from Yassar Arafat's widow. Apparently old "Yassar" was a very *bad* boy... He's got 33 million US in a Geneva Bank that she can't touch because there are "many Muslims that believe a woman should have nothing"... She needs my help. So I've sent her my phone number and address in Sarasota. ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Well that two timer! He is offering me the same deal! Maybe we can get to pay us more. I think he has some relatives in Liberia that are rich too. Lets talk to them about a group discount.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

He already got one mail order bride....could he possibly support two wifes with his modest business? But then again there is the compound over in Palestine. Will his new multi state multi country all in one office system work over there? The devils triangle..Sarasota-Brazil-Palestine. I quess he will have to brush up on the Koran .

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I'm a comedian in NYC. A few comics I know have gotten emails asking them to go to England to perform in a private show (usually some rich guy's birthday party or something like that) and asking what it would cost to hire them. When they've written back they've been told that they'll be sent a check in advance. They receive a certified check for more than the agreed-upon charge, and then receive an email explaining that an error was made and to send a check for the excess somewhere-- of course the certified check is a forgery...

So far I don't know of anyone who has fallen for it, but I think that it's a greater crime to try to take advantage of someone's career or bank account vs. claiming to share stolen money if you'll only help them to steal it.

Shaun Eli

formatting link
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smarter Audience (sm)

Reply to
Shaun Eli

Some hilarious stuff at these sites...

formatting link

Reply to
Matt Ion

Funny stuff on your website Shaun! I like: "The National Association for the Acceptance of Fat Americans, a lobbying group for overweight people, held its convention in Newark this past weekend. So if you're flying out of Newark, and you have the middle seat... you might want to wait another day." @

formatting link
LOL!

-G

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks, G. Morgan. And Mikey, I can't guarantee that everybody laughs at every joke. If you have a look at the site (it's free, I'm not making money from putting free content on the web) maybe you'll find something you like. Or maybe your "Nothin' funny about that" was referring to the thievery and not the joke on my website that G. Morgan posted on this thread.

-Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Eli

Nothin' funny about that.

Reply to
mikey

The "comedian" was the vic, that's why I quipped 'nothing funny about that'

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.