Deadbolt security

Most everyone feels safe inside their own home. It is a sanctuary away from the outside world. However, there are so many thieves and burglars who would rob us of what we have worked so hard to acquire. That is why the door knob lock was invented, to keep out intruders. Eventually, though, they found a way to defeat it. Then the deadbolt was invented and it was much more difficult to break in. The deadbolt, however, is no longer as safe as it once was. Lock picks and other devices allow others to defeat your deadbolt lock. And now some enterprising fellow has developed what is called a "bump key". It allows someone who is proficient with its use to open your deadbolt lock almost as fast as you can with your own key. You may not be aware that a high percentage of home intrusions/burgularies occur at night AND while people are at home. So, a way was needed to provide protection from these methods of intrusion. The "Super Grip Lock" was developed for exactly that purpose. It is a very simple device and inexpensive as well. The "Super Grip Lock" wraps around the inside of the deadbolt and then around the door knob. This connects the deadbolt and the doorknob together as one and prevents the deadbolt from being opened by anyone no matter what kind of device or key they may have. Police departments and locksmiths everywhere recommend the use of the "Super Grip Lock". Photos are included in this message to show the ease of use. Help protect yourself and your family from home intrusion.

The "SuperGrip Lock" sells for $9.95 plus shipping and handling; $2.95 for 1 - 5 "Super Grip Locks 3.95 for 6-10 " 4.95 for 11-20 " FREE 21 or more "

To order this excellent addition to your home security go to PayPal and type in snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com and Transfer funds using your Visa or MasterCard. Your "Super Grip Locks" will be on their way in 1-3 business days. If you have any questions we can be contacted via the e-mail address above.. Thank you and may you and your family always be safe.

Reply to
wrboblis
Loading thread data ...

Most everyone feels safe inside their own home. It is a sanctuary away from the outside world. However, there are so many thieves and burglars who would rob us of what we have worked so hard to acquire. That is why the door knob lock was invented, to keep out intruders. Eventually, though, they found a way to defeat it. Then the deadbolt was invented and it was much more difficult to break in. The deadbolt, however, is no longer as safe as it once was. Lock picks and other devices allow others to defeat your deadbolt lock. And now some enterprising fellow has developed what is called a "bump key". It allows someone who is proficient with its use to open your deadbolt lock almost as fast as you can with your own key. You may not be aware that a high percentage of home intrusions/burgularies occur at night AND while people are at home. So, a way was needed to provide protection from these methods of intrusion. The "Super Grip Lock" was developed for exactly that purpose. It is a very simple device and inexpensive as well. The "Super Grip Lock" wraps around the inside of the deadbolt and then around the door knob. This connects the deadbolt and the doorknob together as one and prevents the deadbolt from being opened by anyone no matter what kind of device or key they may have. Police departments and locksmiths everywhere recommend the use of the "Super Grip Lock". Photos are available via e-mail to show how the "Super Grip Lock" is used. Help protect yourself and your family from home intrusion.

The "SuperGrip Lock" sells for $9.95 plus shipping and handling; $2.95 for 1 - 5 "Super Grip Locks 3.95 for 6-10 " 4.95 for 11-20 " FREE 21 or more "

To order this excellent addition to your home security go to PayPal and type in snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com and Transfer funds using your Visa or MasterCard. Your "Super Grip Locks" will be on their way in 1-3 business days. If you have any questions we can be contacted via the e-mail address above.. Thank you and may you and your family always be safe.nommel

Reply to
wrboblis

"This connects the deadbolt and the doorknob together as one and prevents the deadbolt from being opened by anyone no matter what kind of device or key they may have."

THEN HOW DO I GET OUT?

Reply to
Shaun Eli

On Nov 28, 7:45=EF=BF=BDpm, Shaun Eli wro= te:

You don't want to get out.

There may be someone out there, trying to get in!

Reply to
Jim

RHC: I hesitated to reply to this thread since it was either a troll, or someone hawking his wares on the newsgroup. However, given his pricing, it appears he may just be a troll. As a locksmith myself, I have heard a lot about this way of defeating conventional locks, but didn't see a need to discuss this in any way since it really is not a major concern to anyone with decent locks. "Bumping" as it has become known is simply an amateurish way to go about picking a lock using one of three established ways of doing so, and I'm not going to go into it any further for obvious reasons.

Most manufacturers today use special rounded top pins in their locks which resist this way of defeating them, forcing locksmiths to use different techniques. There are certain other conditions that are normally present in a lock which automatically prevent this sort of violation and they too will remain off the newsgroup. But bottom line, this "bumping" would likely work only rarely on any decent deadbolt, and although much is being made of it, it is not something that a consumer has to unduly worry about. No doubt many people are also being sold overpriced "high security" locks as a way to circumvent this remote possiblity (a VERY high priced and largely unnecessary precaution on it's own for most residential homes)

This device seems to be some sort of plastic cover arrangement preventing the deadbolt from being turned from the outside. In the vast majority of homes, the strike is the weakest part of the door / locking "system" and will quickly give way to a healthy kick from the outside ( in our area, this is how about 90% of the breakins occur....) Most homeowners would be far better off simply replacing the existing strike with a long one, solidly held into the jackstuds of the home with six three inch screws, vastly preventing the normal way of breaking into a home. Or add it to the inside of the door frame, with the screws perpendicular to the door, where the frame is weak next to a tall glass window. Add to that a metal " wraparound " plate for the lock itself in the door, and your locking "system" is even more likely NOT to be violated. For those who still feel they need extra protection against intrusion while they are at home, there are all sorts of bar blocks that run from the handle to the floor, preventing the door from being kicked in even when the door is unlocked....more expensive for sure, but also more effective than this device could ever hope to be (especially if the strike has not been reinforced).

This device might be genuinely useful in residential apartments where there is poor key control being exercised by the building owner. And since a lot of modern apartments have steel frames, there is little danger of "kick in" attacks due to the strength of the frame and the presence of nearby neighbours.

I guess like in every market, someone feels he has invented a better "mousetrap" and hopes to sell it. I am certainly not someone who wants to "rain on his parade", but from a realistic point of view, this device has limited value in the larger methodology of properly securing a home......IMO.....:))

My website has a large amount of information on how to physically secure your home if you care to read further.....www.homemetal.com. To use a term that is not well liked on this newsgroup...it ain't "rocket science"...:))

Reply to
tourman

I'd like to see someone try a "bump key" on our deadbolts. And I don't think it's possible to pick a Mul-T-Lock.

Reply to
Frank Olson

RHC: No, the Mul-T-Lock is considered a high security lock along with a variety of others such as Assa, Abloy and Medeco. These locks are pretty much impervious to any form of picking (including this silly amateur "bumping" technique). They are also armoured against drilling the keyway, and usually have a much heavier deadbolt, often with an internal roller to prevent a sawing attack. Most important, they come with a heavy duty strike that makes kickin of the door frame not impossible, but very difficult.

IMO these are massive overkill for the AVERAGE residential home (with some exceptions). They provide a very high level of profit for the locksmith, and force the client to come back to the a locksmith for VERY expensive and restricted duplicate keys. The one good thing they do for the client is give him excellent key control. In commercial applications, frankly, every lock should be one of these high security locks, not only for the key control, but for the true extra physical strength of the device.

But just like in the electronic security business, not everyone is willing to pay for a proper level of security......(count how successull Alarm Force is being as an obvious example...)

Reply to
tourman

e:

It seems to me, regardless of the kind of deadbolt you can buy at the general sources (Home Depot, etc) they all depend upon the little bit of wood in the jamb, between the strike and the inside edge of the door frame.

I bought two Schlage deep throw dead bolts for my front and back doors. Had some scrap 1/4 inch plate steel. Cut a piece about 8 inches long and just wide enough to fit between the frame of the door and the abuting 2x4. Cut out a hole large enough to allow the bolt to pass though, plus 4 holes on each corner of the plate. Slipped the plate between the door frame and the 2x4 and with a little shimming to keep it tight, used four 3 1/2 inch flat head screws through the frame into

2x4 to mount it.

I'm surprised someone hasn't thought of putting something like this on the market. Or .... maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.

Reply to
Jim

ote:

RHC: What you have just described is one form of heavy duty strike plate. These are available in different forms, lengths and screw dimensions for a few dollars at locksmithing stores and locksmith supply houses, in different materials including fancy brass. I make them up in my machine shop out of 3/16th inch flat steel, 10 to 12 inches long and 1and a quarter inches wide and install one with every deadbolt I install for customers. The hole for the deadbolt is milled on a milling machine to ensure a smooth, elongated hole with no sharp, stressed edges. I would far rather see a $40 lock and a decent 10 inch strike on a door than a $150 high security lock with a standard 2 inch strike....the former would be far more secure against the type of thief that typically breaks into home (at least in our area anyway). In extreme situations, I remove the inside moulding on the door frame between the floor to ceiling length window and the door, then mount a floor to ceiling piece of 1/4 inch thick steel with 6 inch screws every few inches or so, then remount the moulding using contact cement. A touch of paint and it's totally invisible. This REALLY makes that otherwise weak frame quite strong. Over the last 35 years, I have probably manufactured and installed 4 ot 5000 of these along with the deadbolts, and as far as I know, I've never had a door kicked in....a few heavily damaged, but none actually bypassed.

Same old rules apply here; security is only as good as the weakest link, and as you say, the door jamb is always the weakest link...

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.