Continuous Duty Small "LCD" Monitors

Used to be Sharp was the ticket back when small LCDs were expensive. I still have plenty of them in service, but not its getting hard to find a decent small LCD to use as a monitor that will hold up to continuous duty. Sure there are lots of cheap ones out there, but they are just that. Cheap.

I routinely run into applications where its handy to slap a 12VDC 7-10" LCD monitor on the wall next to a high traffic door. The problem is with those that seem to be available readily I wind up replacing them about every 18 months.

Now, I can't throw money at them either, but if say there was a make that was 40 or 50% more expensive, but that would hold up for 3-5 years (or more) of continuous duty I would buy them.

Suggestions?

Pyle has a 10" in that price range designed as an in-wall. Anybody using them?

10" is the most common size, but I run into plenty of doors at the end of a hallway in a commercial build where a 7" is the largest that will fit in the space.

*** If you see this post multiple times, sorry. Eternal Sepetember and Tera News both failed to manage the post when I tried. Had to post it through Google Groups.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Bob, has anyone tried using one of those LCD desk top picture displays? Never tried myself but the size would be right.. RTS

Used to be Sharp was the ticket back when small LCDs were expensive. I still have plenty of them in service, but not its getting hard to find a decent small LCD to use as a monitor that will hold up to continuous duty. Sure there are lots of cheap ones out there, but they are just that. Cheap.

I routinely run into applications where its handy to slap a 12VDC 7-10" LCD monitor on the wall next to a high traffic door. The problem is with those that seem to be available readily I wind up replacing them about every 18 months.

Now, I can't throw money at them either, but if say there was a make that was 40 or 50% more expensive, but that would hold up for 3-5 years (or more) of continuous duty I would buy them.

Suggestions?

Pyle has a 10" in that price range designed as an in-wall. Anybody using them?

10" is the most common size, but I run into plenty of doors at the end of a hallway in a commercial build where a 7" is the largest that will fit in the space.

*** If you see this post multiple times, sorry. Eternal Sepetember and Tera News both failed to manage the post when I tried. Had to post it through Google Groups.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I wonder... do they have a composite input?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Nope, not the answer. They are digital processors only. No way to manage analog.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How about buying the 7" ones for cars they sell @ Wal-Mart? You get two of them with a DVD player for $80. And they are 12V DC.

Reply to
G. Morgan

There are a bunch of them out there in that size range cheap. The problem is they only seem to last about 16-18 months in continuous duty. Since I prefer to give my customers better service than that I am looking for a better life than that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.