Ademco 5806 or 5808

My smoke detectors are coming up on 10 years old, and are starting to get flakey, saying low battery even after replacing with good quality fresh batteries. (And yes, I leave the batteries out for 10 min before putting in new ones.)

The Only Wireless detectors I see now are 5805's, I see some 5806's that look like mine, but they look like "surplus" or "Factory outs"

Is the 5808 the current generation, current model, etc.etc....

Also, who has a good price on 14 of them (ouch, think old house, lots of places to sleep and rooms with fireplaces, etc....) Would buying 1 or 2 more drop the price significantly ?

Reply to
Bob Sisson
Loading thread data ...
5809 is the latest version.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Sorry...5808 is the correct model you need. The 5809 is the wireless thermostat.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Bob,

The low battery problem is comon with those older detectors. The way to make them clear is to take the batteries out of the unit and use a wire or something metal to short across the battery terminals in the detector. This will discharge the capacitor that triggers the low battery circuit. Once you have done this put the batteries back in the detector, replace it on the mount and enter your code and off twice in a row.

The best thing you could do is replace the detectors, but this trick will get you by until you can get new ones.

James

Reply to
J Barnes

Thanks, that's what I needed to Know...

Reply to
Bob Sisson

And use the recommended brand batteries...they're embossed in the battery compartment. I had a big argument with a client once - he insisted that Walgreen's 50 cent batteries should work....yah but only for about 2 months.

Bob Siss> Thanks, that's what I needed to Know...

Reply to
Crash

Using cheep batteries makes no sense, we buy Duracell's, or better yet the industrial Duracell's.

Why would I want to drag the ladder out more often than I need to, or worse, have the "low battery" alarm go off at 3am as it always does.

Reply to
Bob Sisson

This guy was an idiot. Rather than put in Duracells every year or so (in only two smokes), he paid me over 300 bucks to install two wired smokes...difficult runs. I didn't get out my calculator and show him how many years of batteries he coulda bought for 300 bucks - he was too stuborn to believe me anyway, he still insists the smokes were bad (not).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Just so you know there aren't many manufacturers of batteries these days so it is possible those cheapie batteries were made in the same factory that also make Duracells

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not from the looks of these puppies! They were cheep cheep cheep.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It doesn't matter, its kinda like buying a laptop, since there are only 3 companies that actually make laptops that Compaq I have may be from the same place as the guy with a Dell.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Really? Dint know that.

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We buy laptops from the same manufacturer in Taiwan that builds "Dell" branded ones. And Mark's right... There are only three (and they're all in Taiwan).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.