Any Nortel Edge Switches With Private VLAN Features?

Cisco switches support a security feature known as Private VLANs (PVLANs), with one port used to uplink to a router or firewall port, and the remaining ports configured as completely private? I'm not sure how Cisco defines PVLAN, but the key attribute I must have for this product is that all data must pass from a private port to the uplink port, with no possibility for broadcast, arp, or layer 3 traffic to travel between private ports. This must be true even if the host attached to a private VLAN port can impersonate a different MAC address other than its own, and must be true even if the host knows the target MAC address of a host on a different VLAN port.

Since I will be using one of these switches for each segment attached to a firewall, and the number of hosts are trivially small, I have no concerns about density or about passing VLAN information across multiple switches.

What are my product options? I would like to identify both a fast ethernet and a gigabit switch.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dophi

Hi Will. You can use the PVID setting on the ports to get something like this function on most Nortel ethernet switches. The PVID defines the target VLAN for an untagged port. For 100Mb/s you can use the 470 switch, and for Gigabit the 5510.

1. Disable the "Auto PVID" global parameter (Is disabled default).
  2. All ports set to "Untagged/Access", NOT Tagged.
  3. Create 1 VLAN for the firewall, and 1 for each client.
  4. Assign all VLAN's to the firewall port, and set the PVID to the firewall VLAN
  5. For each "client" port assign the firewall VLAN, and the 1 VLAN for the client. PVID set to client VLAN.

Traffic sent from the firewall will be seen by all client ports, but traffic from a client will only be seen by the firewall.

Regards Morten Rydahl

Reply to
Morten Rydahl Nielsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.