usb data collecting?

Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be used within windows? I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge pumps have been operating. Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is actually being used.

I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor or two.

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

For easier pogramming capability, I suggest a USB gizmo that is seen as a virtual serial port device, or use a USB to serial adapter and use a real serial port controlled gizmo for the data I/O. I'd stay away from devices that require dll based programming unless you are an experienced programmer.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Try Pico...

formatting link
formatting link
They have a program that will upload data to a web site. Not sure if they have something they will send it by email or similar.
formatting link
I guess ideally you not only want to know if the pumps are running but if they are actually moving any water. You might ask Pico if they know of someone using their kit to monitor water level.

Reply to
CWatters

If you want to monitor this remotely via telephone or internet I would recommend something like a Elk M1 family device. On the other hand if you are just going to record the data for later examination the laptop is the way to go. I would look at serial or 1-wire instead of USB...

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Not at those prices! I don't need to know THAT bad.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks Neil, that's a very interesting looking device.

Indeed, that's always a good option.

Yeah, not to much trouble. I've got AC to the boat during the winter. I could step down the onboard 12vdc. But then again I may want to use something like X-10 (gasp!) to control power to it.

I'm toying with using an old laptop to act as a 'watchman' on the boat. Just make sure it's not taking on water and know when the temps are getting near (and below) freezing. Then being able to have it send me the data or alerts should conditions merit. I'm having it handle informing me by using on-shore wifi, not a phone line or service on the boat itself. If I was keeping internet or phone service live on it all winter I'd probably go with one of the embedded devices like the Elk.

If the AC power is out I'll know already via the laptop going onto battery mode. So the sensors being offline due to loss of AC would be obvious. The boat's about an hour away and there's staff on sight (and friends nearby). So losing data collection during a power outage isn't critical since I'm already going to be concerned about the loss of AC.

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Serial port programming isn't necessarily any simpler than DLLs.

The labjack device looks to be interesting, and has quite an array of programming interfaces.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Bill there WAS a guy with a DIY system that did what you're talking about. I get no response from:

formatting link
...but quite a few things 'just disappear' where I live: Mainland China

Reply to
Marko.Landers

Ok how about a networked solution. An IP thermometer with a pair digital imputs to log other stuff... $249

formatting link

Reply to
CWatters

Use the web archive:

formatting link
But, alas, the project seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.