Home network security configuration needed

I have someone in the family who has a recurring spyware infestation problem with his computer. This person, whom I will refer to as John, has a computer at his house which he lets his school-age kids use. John uses his computer mostly for internet browsing and for accessing his financial accounts online. Myself and other member of the family have in the past helped John remove spyware and other junk from his computer. We've come to the conclusion that John should get a separate computer just for himself. Further, John should put his computer on a separate, firewalled LAN so that even if the kids' computer is infected, that computer won't be able to infect or spy on his.

Can someone suggest a good hardware/software configuration for the purpose? If you know of specific products that you'd recommend, that'd be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
KGS
Loading thread data ...

If John's children are of school age, it does not matter what the harware configuration is, to keep THEM and the computer safe, the ONLY way to achieve this is to provide constant supervision.

If you're going to give the kids a seperate machine, ensure it is in a supervisable area. Ideally install Linux so if they do surf to a site where they might pich up some spyware, it is unlikely to cause any harm.

As I said before, the only way to keep the children safe is supervision. But it is worth repeating. Supervision.

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

I'll second Bogwitch's comments.

But, to address your question, a "cheap and easy" solution would be to install two routers.... Router #1 would connect between your cable/dsl modem and the childrens' computer. Router #2 would connect between Router #1 and John's computer. This way, each computer can be a member of a different workgroup, and no direct communication between the two would be possible unless specifically set up via VPN or something similar.

Reply to
Ryan P.

Ya it would suck to actually teach your kids something, it's much more productive to always be sitting over their shoulder.

Reply to
kingthorin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.