firewall vendors demanding support contract for software downloads

I use a netscreen firewall and Juniper products, the makers, demand a current support contract to download software! This seems a little, well, greedy. I'm used to having access to software for hardware I've bought as a matter of fact. Is this a common thing for firewall vendors? (i.e. make you pay for the privilege of downloading software for the hardware you've already paid for.)

alex

Reply to
Alex Hunsley
Loading thread data ...

I would guess that you don't own many high-end products that require anything other than drivers if that's the case. For the longest time many hardware vendors that provide security have required some form of maintenance contract in order to gain access to support and updates past the initial warranty/support period included with the product.

You have not already paid for the items you are complaining about - you paid for the hardware and the software you were given at the time works fine. If you want new software for the device you must pay for it, just like everything in life - nothing is free.

Reply to
Leythos

That is what they usually do.

Discuss that with the vendors.

Nonsense.

Yes. That is the usual practice of a software company.

Hardware except a wire cutter does _not_ make a firewall. Usually a firewall box from any vendor comes with a more or less up-to-date version of software/firmware. Updates require a service contract in most cases.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

'They' being Juniper products, firewall vendors, or any hardware maker in general?

So you're telling me that a) you're telepathic and b) I'm lying?

Ok thrn, please present me with a list of all the hardware I've bought where I've then had to pay for software updates. Then present me with a list of all the hardware I've bought where the associated software updates came gratis. Your powers of telepathy should help you in this task.

I'm not talking about solely software companies, I'm talking about firewall vendors... some firewall vendors may also produce software, it is true. But describing them just as 'software companies' is too simplistic in this discussion.

And lots of other hardware I've purchased in the past would have been useless without the (free including updates) software that was available from the maker.

Yup, I've noticed. But allowing access to all new updates etc. is somewhat different to the policy that exists at some companies of not allowing access to any software at all (old or new) that is for the product you bought (if you're not crossing their palm that year with money). I think that absolutely stinks.

Imagine I buy a new firewall tomorrow and don't plan to extend the support/service contract after the default period. Am I supposed to trawl their site and download every single last file available just in case I might need it a few years down the road?

Reply to
Alex Hunsley

Since that's how its been for more than 5 years that I can remember, YES.

Since your firewall doesn't really need the updated software, since it does what it does when you purchased it, then you got what you paid for. In most cases, with few exceptions, the firewall updates are only to add features, which were not there when you bought the thing.

Oh, and you can't really compare Firmware and Interface software for a Firewall to a driver for a video card.

Reply to
Leythos

Hello,

welcome to the world of high end computing and security!

Be it Checkpoint, Stonegate, Juniper or Sonicwall etc, etc, they all require a seperate license or service contract. That is why these are classed as corporate|enterprise|high end security products. If you'd like something where you can download the firmware for free, go with the cheap stuff for home users. You should have checked this sort of thing before you got it I am sorry to say.

regards

Reply to
datacide

Drivers aside, I'm thinking of utilities and associated software such as VPN clients.

It appears to be the case...

Reply to
Alex Hunsley

When the support contract was in place, I could download associated software and utils for no extra cost, which are then unavailable when the support contract has run out.

Reply to
Alex Hunsley

What does a software agreement for a low end Netscreen cost anyhow?

Reply to
Not-My-Real-Name

And when you purchased the unit, it was clear that that would be the case, you were able to return the unit in the first X days if you didn't like the terms.

Reply to
Leythos

Piffle.

Reply to
barney

Oh, this isn't for personal use. I have the 'cheap stuff' for at home.

Reply to
Alex Hunsley

No. He is right.

Reply to
Wolfgang Zweimueller

Please discuss that with the vendors. If you find their license policy of a certain product not acceptable, you need not buy it.

You can use free software and build your own firewalls.

Most security software requires a service contract to get updates. This even refers to commercial virus scanners.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

I didn't actually purchase it, I've 'inherited' it where it was already installed...

Reply to
Alex Hunsley

Good, and I'm sure they provided the software and updates that had at the time of the service period, you should not really need anything else.

Reply to
Leythos

When you purchase a Netscreen you get 30 days of free updates.

For example, current OS is Screen OS 5.1. So if you had a 5.0 unit, you can download 5.1. However after 30 days 5.1 (and its subset) will be the latest you can download.

If you buy a support contract you get access to major and minor updates beyond 5.1, which would usually include major feature updates.

You purchased a Netscreen firewall with a set range of features. The later software updares they are asking you to pay for are NEW features that you did not pay for.

I can't see what you're complaining about?

Reply to
Mark S

If you buy the entry level AV version first year is US$95 list.

Reply to
Mark S

I agree you can pay for new features and enhancements, but you should not pay for security updates or bugs. You don't buy a box and a software, they sell you a solution for a problem, if the solution has problems the blame it's on the vendor, and they should not ask you for any more money.

Obviously software companies do this all the time, but it's a bad practice and people should study this kind of things before buying any software or hardware solution.

Reply to
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.