VPN router

hi What 800 model of Cisco SOHO can i use to terminate a high speed cable internet connection. Need a router that can act as a cable modem and also do a site to site VPN with assigned static ips.

thanks for the replies

Reply to
david
Loading thread data ...

In article , david wrote: :What 800 model of Cisco SOHO can i use to terminate a high speed cable :internet connection. Need a router that can act as a cable modem and :also do a site to site VPN with assigned static ips.

806 (end of sale), 831, 851 (new!), 871 (new!)

I wouldn't recommend the 806 route.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cisco does not currently produce a router which also acts as a cable modem (with RF interface). All of the modern 8x1 series are dual ethernet, and the other 800 series are ISDN or DSL flavors. None have on board RF cable modem options.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

I would like to purchase a router which connects to an internet modem via Ethernet (they all do I believe) and provides 802.11 secured NAT access to workstations behind it. This is for a home network. There must be an option to allocate a specific mac address to a DMZ host where all inbound ports are open.

Next, it must be capable of negotiating a VPN connection to A VPN provider using multiple VPN protocols including PPTP and L2TP/IPSec.

Good "techie access" to port forwarding and routing tables as well as firewall rules is required.

Any suggestions on what products to investigate? Money is not the primary issue, functionality is. I have a Cisco 5400 at my disposal, but I don't believe it can do what I want, even with my netgear WIFI router helping it with 802.11 access.

Reply to
SailingCyclops

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.