PIX ASA as a DNS server

I want to use a ASA as a DNS server ( or pass through calls to off site DNS servers); in reading Cisco's docs I'm now confused about the settings for just DHCP ! Their docs refer to setting up the server functions on the OUTSIDE (?!??) interface.

formatting link
makes no sense to me at all. At the moment I have a ASA server sending out ip's ( I think OK) on asmall lan with :dhcpd address

192.168.1.200-192.168.1.214 inside I want to also have these client machines pick up DNS settings from the ASA. From the reading I've done (off cisco) I've tried :dhcpd dns 4.2.2.2But I have no way of testing this as I'm offsite, and want to stay that way. The ASA is also a dhcp client on it's outside interface; Vlan2 is set with:namif outsideip address dhcp The "sh dhcpd state" comand tells me:Interface inside is not configured for DHCPinterace outside ,conigured for DHCP client. Given what I read in the Cisco docs, I'm about to go to bed , confused
Reply to
barret bonden
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.