ip dns server

Hi

I found out that I could enable a DNS server with "ip dns server" on my 877W, which works. However I can't find any information on what type of DNS server this actually is. I'd like to know if it is just a proxy server, if so where does it get it's info from (from the "ip name-server" entries?). Or is it a configurable one where I can set up zones and aliasses etc myself? Does it do Dynamic DNS for addresses given out with DHCP? Etc

Any pointers on the type of DNS server this is?

Cheers Floris

Reply to
Floris Bruynooghe
Loading thread data ...

Documentation says it acts as a proxy DNS server and simply proxies replies. Here is the link:

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Cool - I was wondering if IOS can do something like that abd I was already playing aroudn with some NAT statements. But to where does the router proxy an incominf DNS request? What effect does "ppp ipcp dns request" have for a (DSL) Dialer interface?

TIA

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

Depends on your IOS version.

Configuring DNS

formatting link

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

With "ip dns spoofing", the router just responds with its own IP address(es). Without "ip dns spoofing", the request fails. How do I configure a real DNS proxy to defined servers? And does this work automagically with a PPP connection and "ppp ipcp dns request"?

TIA

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

I forgot to mention: of course, I have configured "ip name-server" ...

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.