Frame Relay Lab - Unable to ping - Newbie

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie and am learning to configure Frame Relay on my home lab. I would appreciate your time and effort if you could kindly guide me in the right direction. I have three routers (One 2521, and two 2503's). I shall refer to them as R1, R2 and R3 respectively. The final objective is to reach from R1 to R3. I am first testing connectivity between R1 and R2. R1's DLCI to R2 seems to be deleted inspite of using frame-relay map

R1 is configured as a frame relay dte device. R2 is configured as a frame relay dce device. frame-relay switching is turned ON at the global level. R3 is configured as a frame relay dte device.

+------------+ +------------+ +------------+ | R1 || R2 || R3 | +-------------+ Cab 1 +------------+ Cab 2 +------------+

The three routers are connected via DTE-DCE cables. (I am simulating a Frame Relay cloud).

Cab 1 ==> The cable with the DTE end is on R1. The cable with the DCE end is on R2 Cab 2 ==> The cable with the DTE end is on R3. The cable with the DCE end is on R2.

R1 serial interface has an ip of 10.0.0.1 / 8 R2 serial interface has an ip of 10.0.0.2 / 8

My interfaces on R1 and R2 are up. I am trying to ping from R1 to R2. LMI exchanges look good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** SHOW INTERFACE ON R1 ***** 2521_R1#show interface serial 05:03:59: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console 1 Serial1 is up, line protocol is up Hardware is HD64570 Internet address is 10.0.0.1/8 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, loopback not set Keepalive set (10 sec) LMI enq sent 1062, LMI stat recvd 977, LMI upd recvd 0, DTE LMI up LMI enq recvd 0, LMI stat sent 0, LMI upd sent 0 LMI DLCI 1023 LMI type is CISCO frame relay DTE FR SVC disabled, LAPF state down Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 7/5, interface broadcasts 0 Last input 00:00:09, output 00:00:09, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 03:24:55 Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0 Queueing strategy: weighted fair Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops) Conversations 0/1/256 (active/max active/max total) Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated) Available Bandwidth 1158 kilobits/sec 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 990 packets input, 14864 bytes, 0 no buffer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** SHOW IP ROUTE ON R1 ***** 2521_R1#show ip route Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2 E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area * - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

C 1.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, Loopback0 C 10.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, Serial1 S 0.0.0.0/32 is directly connected, Loopback0

2521_R1#

**** SHOW FRAME RELAY MAP ON R1 ***** 2521_R1#show frame-relay map Serial1 (up): ip 10.0.0.2 dlci 102(0x66,0x1860), static, CISCO, status defined, active Serial1 (up): ip 200.200.200.200 dlci 100(0x64,0x1840), static, CISCO, status defined, inactive

@@@@@@@@ R2 @@@@@@@@@

R2_2503#no debug frame-relay packet Frame Relay packet debugging is off R2_2503#show interface serial 0 Serial0 is up, line protocol is up Hardware is HD64570 Description: ****FRAME RELAY SWITCHING INTERFACE **** Internet address is 10.0.0.2/8 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, loopback not set Keepalive set (10 sec) LMI enq sent 0, LMI stat recvd 0, LMI upd recvd 0 LMI enq recvd 1025, LMI stat sent 1025, LMI upd sent 0, DCE LMI up LMI DLCI 1023 LMI type is CISCO frame relay DCE FR SVC disabled, LAPF state down Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 0/0, interface broadcasts 0 Last input 00:00:01, output 00:00:01, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 03:15:39 Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0 Queueing strategy: weighted fair Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops) Conversations 0/1/256 (active/max active/max total) Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated) Available Bandwidth 1158 kilobits/sec 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

R2_2503#show frame-relay map Serial0 (up): ip 10.0.0.1 dlci 103(0x67,0x1870), static, CISCO, status defined, active R2_2503#

2521_R1#ping 10.0.0.2

Type escape sequence to abort. Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.0.0.2, timeout is 2 seconds: ..... Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

2521_R1#

Once again thank you for your time. Much appreciated!!

- Tintin

Reply to
Pink_Floyd
Loading thread data ...

I am also trying to ping my local interface serial 1 but get am unable to do so....

P> Hi Folks,

Reply to
Pink_Floyd

It is an attribute of serial interfaces, on Cisco devices at least, that you can't ping the local interface if the link itself isn't working, i.e. the "ping" has to travel to the far end of the link and be returned to you.

Also, on frame relay interfaces you need a frame relay map for the local address, or you will get encapsulation failures when you try to ping it, i.e.

! On R1 interface Serial1 frame-relay map ip 10.0.0.1 102 !

You also appear to have mismatched DLCIa at the two routers.

2521_R1#show frame-relay map Serial1 (up): ip 10.0.0.2 dlci 102(0x66,0x1860), static, CISCO, status defined, active

R2_2503#show frame-relay map Serial0 (up): ip 10.0.0.1 dlci 103(0x67,0x1870), static, CISCO, status defined, active

It's also a good idea to include the actual router configurations along with appropriate debugs etc. so anyone who might be inclined to reply doesn't have to reconstruct it first. That, and learning to trim responses, and not to top post.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Hi Martin,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time out of your schedule and helping me out with my configs.

I shall revisit my router configs per your recommendations and post my thoughts on the issue.

Regards,

- P>

Reply to
Pink_Floyd

Hi Martin, I realized my mistake at configuring the routers and corrected the same. I finally have my DLCI's active. However, I am now able to ping end-to-end as well as locally.

Thanks a bunch for your help and guidance ... hope I can be of some help...

Rgds,

- P> Hi Martin,

Reply to
Pink_Floyd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.