DHCP & 802.1x tutorial

hi - Looking for info on how a secure network might be deployed when moving from desktops to laptops in a financial environment.

I was wondering how a device obtains an IP address when looking at a 802.1x environment ?

Does the client merely wait for all the EAP protocol exchanges to complete and then it issues a DHCP request ?

If it doesn't have an IP address, how is it communicating ? I'm guessing it would be MAC to MAC with the local switch, until such time it is assigned an IP address.

Is there a paper I can see that lays out all the basic exchanges until the client is actually up and running ?

Any other secure solutions that don't require talking to a Radius server ?

Reply to
P.Schuman
Loading thread data ...

not a good idea when you have sensitive information, i suggest you use vpn over the wireless connections.

correct

correct

this is a start:

formatting link

the access-point can have a local user list to authenticate, there is also freeradius

M
Reply to
mak

What about this option do you think is more secure than WPA2 with dot1x? VPN over wireless used to be the only good option but wireless security has come a long way.

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.