CISCO Wireless Control System Software

Has anyone experience with CISCO Wireless Control System Software. I am in process of installing a 802.11a/b/g network for both campus utility as well as experimentation / play around purposes using 1240 series Access Points. I have a limitation that i dont have access to router. Rather, Data from router drops at a switch from which there are direct links to APs and servers etc (according to my info atleast). I want to get statistics of the network (i.e wireless network/APs/traffic etc). First, Do i need a CISCO wireless network controller (like 2000 or 4400 series) for this to work in conjunction with Wireless Control System Software or software can work stand alone without controller, and still provide stats etc... Secondly, i cannot plugin APs directly to Controller (which should be standard practice as per network architecture shown in CISCO site and my understanding). Can i plug in both controller and APs, as well as WCS Server and still get control on APs through controller and WCS. I can elaborate further if you want more description. I would appreciate good responses. thanks

Reply to
saad
Loading thread data ...

This might give you a bit more idea what i am talking about:

formatting link

Reply to
saad

WCS works only with APs that are controlled by WLCs (such as WLC4400, WLC2006.)

For network management of "autonomous IOS" APs, use WLSE.

formatting link
Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

thanks Aaron. I appreciate your response. If i am using WLC, and dropping both WLC and Autonomous APs on a switch (i would upgrade APs to be LWAPP compliant through software upgrade.) which is connected to some external network, would i be able to control the APs, regardless of what the external network is. I have a limitation that i cant attach APs directly to WLC. I appreciate your time.

Reply to
saad

Access points don't need to be physically connected to the WLC in order to talk LWAPP to them, or even be in the same subnet. With L3 LWAPP, the APs can be anywhere in your IP network as long as you have a sufficiently fast/reliable network path.

This should help some:

Quick Start Guide LWAPP-Enabled Cisco Aironet Access Points

formatting link
Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.