Cisco & JVM versions

I run our patching software. We push out the latest Sun JVM (1.50_05) to all of our workstations. If they don't have the latest version, we install it.

We do this to resolve known security issues in previous versions.

formatting link
My Cisco guy is complaining that his Cisco switches require an older (vulnerable) JVM so that he can manage them.

Is is possible that an IOS upgrade would allow him to manage these devices with the newer JVM/JRE?

Reply to
edavid3001
Loading thread data ...

I'm not a programmer, but here's what I did to get around this issue somewhat:

Issue: Run ONS15454 CTC software (requres JVM 1.3) and SDM (required JVM ge 1.4)

1.) Install latest JVM 1.4.x 2.) Upgrade 1.4 to latest 1.5 3.) Install latest JVM 1.3.x (be sure to install 1.3.x AFTER 1.5.x!) 4.) Leave all defaults on JVM 1.3 control panel except for Browser selection - uncheck Explorer and/or Netscape. 5.) On the 1.5.x control panel, leave all defaults. However, select Explorer in JVM Applet tag option (under Advanced, I believe)

It's hokey, but it seems to work OK. I can jump between optical box software management and security device manager. I can also manage Cisco Call Manager 3.3.

Good luck

Reply to
Cisco Guy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.