New CCNA Candidate

Hi, all!

I find myself unemployed from the automotive business (service manager, never a wrench-turner), and quite frankly, I am sick of the business. All the negative things you've heard about the business ARE TRUE!! I got into the business because (1) I am good at selling, and (2) I wanted to make a difference for my customers. Well, SCREW THAT!!

I now have the opportunity to get some free, government paid training for a career change. I have been building PC's since 1980 (!), and have even set up a 3-node network in my home in the past using NetBEUI (ugh!). I never considered networking as a career, mainly because after passing the MCP test (2000 & Network Essentials), I was soooo bored with the whole OSI model that it made me wonder how anyone could enjoy that to the point of making a career out of it. Boy, was I wrong!

I have been going over a Cisco CBT I downloaded a couple of days ago, and whaddaya know? I GET IT!! I guess being an old DOS/CPM jockey helps, yes?

Background: I'm 55, but have been playing with PC's since they were invented (1980). Had a job with CSC for a few years as a QA Analyst in

1998 (hated it!) before the Dot Com implosion. Found myself down-sized, and with a bad taste in my mouth for IT in general. That's how I ended up in automotive.

Now, with that said, here's my question for the group: I find I have a real understanding of the whole networking concept, and am going to get CCNA certified in a couple of weeks. I don't care if I get stuck as a Net Admin for a few weeks or months, since I'm going to go the CCNP route ASAP anyway.

WILL MY AGE BE A DETRIMENT IN FINDING A NETWORK JOB??

I have my B.S. in Business Administration, but I don't think it'll be much help, and I won't go back to school for a CS degree. I'm mainly interested in a career that'll let me make pretty good money for the next 10-12 years, and then I'm going to retire. I hope to put my natural tech geekiness to good use in the network field.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce
Loading thread data ...

Can you elaborate on that? Is it some special circumstance, is there some possibility of that for me as well.

I'm 40, and also in the middle of a major career change.

And good for you for getting out of something that makes you miserable.

Reply to
Mitch

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:39 GMT, Mitch@_._ wrote:

There is a Federal program available called WIA, for Workforce Investment Act. Here's the copy from the Ga. DOL:

Workforce Investment Act (WIA) One-Stop Workforce System Summary for Job Seekers The federal Workforce Investment Act was signed into law in August

1998, and went into effect in Georgia in July 2000. Then Governor Barnes designated the Georgia Department of Labor as the state agency responsible for WIA. The Governor also appointed a state Workforce Investment Board to help plan and develop Georgia?s overall workforce system. In Georgia, there are 20 local service delivery areas. In each area there is a local Workforce Investment Board, appointed by local elected officials. Local boards are responsible for designing local workforce systems that are employer led, demand driven, customer friendly and continuously improving. No two local systems look alike, since the workforce needs of communities differ. Each workforce area has at least one comprehensive one-stop workforce center that provides job seekers and employers a wide range of workforce services. In Georgia there are over 45 comprehensive one-stop centers (with two-thirds of these being GDOL career centers). In addition to these comprehensive sites, many communities have other places for customers to access workforce services, often called ?satellites.? These sites range from libraries to technical colleges to welfare offices to kiosks at a mall. A wide range of services is available at no cost to individuals (and employers) at one-stop centers, with most centers offering a new customer orientation to their services. Typical services for job seekers include job search assistance and job matching; labor market information about ?hot? jobs in demand and salary ranges, etc.; help in exploring training/education opportunities; and financial aid application assistance. Many of these basic services are available on a self-service basis via computer for customers who are interested in this approach. Career counselors are available for customers who want more intensive help: ? Exploring careers and making career choices, assessing skills, abilities and interests? ? Learning about the full range of workforce-related services in the community, including specialized services for persons who are laid off, youth, persons with disabilities, older workers? ? Finding out where to get training, including classroom training, on-the-job training and customized training if available? ? Putting together a financial aid strategy to help meet the expenses of education and training? ? Addressing special needs or circumstances that have made it hard to get or keep a job? ? Getting support services such as childcare or transportation services while attending school or working? Some customers are eligible for Workforce Investment Act funding through the WIA Individual Training Account Eligible Provider/Program List System, if certain criteria or conditions are met. Eligibility requirements for training services are somewhat different in each area, based on local workforce needs and conditions and the policies developed to meet those needs. Job seekers can browse occupational skills training programs approved for Individual Training Account funding online, but must work with a career counselor to determine potential eligibility for funding. Contact the one-stop workforce center serving your area to learn about the specific workforce services available in your community and the best way to access them - for example, to get a map, to learn whether an appointment is required, or whether new customer orientations are offered certain days or times.

The bottom line is that these are "grants" of up to $4,000 that DO NOT HAVE TO BE PAID BACK to get training. The only catch is: you have to be unemployed. Count me in. I'm still paying off my student loan for the college degree ;-{

And another program will pay my unemployment while I work for a potential employer, for a max of 30 hrs a week, for a max of 6 weeks.

I think I see a way to get a good job at no risk to a potential employer.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce, you're only as old as the girl you feel... or something like that. :-) Isn't it against the law to discriminate on age anyway?

The real question you should ask yourself is "will I enjoy a job working in an environment dominated by guys in their late 20's?"

If you can say "yes" and you 'get' and enjoy networking then go for it mate.

Good luck and keep us posted on your certification status.

Reply to
Radrage

Bruce,

Here is a little encouragement. I got my first IT job at the age of

1. I had been in computer and software sales for 17 years. I am now
65 and have enjoyed working in IT very much. I got an MCSE for Windows NT. I have studied a lot of Cisco stuff and manage our routers and switches. I have also learned to configure an ASA 5500. I did try for the CCENT exam a few months ago and failed it miserably. To much data for my old brain plus some of the questions are real vague. I built a lab with an access switch, a frame relay switch and three routers and two switches. I can try stuff on this before I do it on the production network and it is a good lerning tool along with the Trainsignal Cisco Trianing DVDs.

Go for it.

Reply to
tman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.