CCNA Help

Hi All,

I need some advice; I am doing my ccna and have up to now been using sims. I would like to buy some routers and use these. I am not sure what model to use; I have been looking at 2610. But this only has one eth and no wan, well it does but I have to pay for WIC upgrades (and what upgrades I am not sure) Is there a 2600 router that has 2 eth ports that I can simulate a working network?

Any info is much appreciated

Min

Reply to
me
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Bill YILDIRIM

Go with the 2500 series. These and everything you need for your ccna can be purchased on ebay. You will need to pick up some AUIs for ethernet on these routers. If you want to practice frame relay, go with a 2520. You can also pick up a 2509 for an access server, but not neccessary. You will also need to pick up some back to back cables. You can find the 2501 with max memory for under 100 bucks.

Reply to
Grep

WARNING: Not all 2600s have 2 ethernet ports

Reply to
kymwak

Hi, thanks for the Advice!

I have a couple of 2503, will I need something else? I.e. to play with frame relay. If i brought say a 2503 and 2 2520 would I be able to connect thes all together? Sorry to sound dumb just want to make sure I get it right first time :)

M.

Reply to
Anonymous

Is it worth getting a few different router or just stick with the same model, i.e. 2503 x 3? or 2503, 2501, ect ect

I just want something that will allow to get my ccna.

Thanks Min

Reply to
Anonymous

The only difference in the 2503 and the 2501 is the 2503 has an isdn bri port. If you already have a couple of 2503s I would pick up maybe another

2501 and a 2520 for frame relay. The 2520 has the same ports as the 2503 plus a couple additonal serial ports. Make sure all of your routers have at least 16mb ram and 16mb flash so that you can run enterprise IOS. Memory can be purchased on ebay cheap for these routers. You can pick up a 2520 cheap also on ebay. Connect them all together with back to back cables or these crossover cables (my favorite for a lab)
formatting link
Reply to
Grep

I actually used a 4700 with a fe, dual ether and dual serial module. That interfaced fine to a couple of 2500 and 1600 routers and my 2200 and 2924xl-en switch. I got them all pretty cheap on eBay. The 4700 came with a maximum memory load and the enterprise IOS. The cost was fairly low and gave me lots of options to play with.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Willson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.