Data (Cat6) and telephone (Cat5e) lines on the same patch panel

I've read various posts that seem to touch on my questions, but not knowing all the lingo I'll ask anyway....

I have 18 lines of Cat6 (will use for data) and 18 lines of Cat5e (will use for phone) all connected to a Belkin 48-port unshielded patch panel in my basement. I also have a Cat5e line from the outside telephone box connected to the patch panel. I will connect the data lines to a 3Com switch using one-foot Cat6 patch cord. As for the phone lines....

1) Any issues running the outside telephone line to the patch panel? I've read that there are issues with telephone line voltage and possible damage to data equipment. Does the patch panel contain this? As long as I don't connect the port with the incoming telephone line to my data switch I should be OK, right???

2) Is the patch panel the same as a 110 block?

3) Is there a phone switch similar to the data switch that I use for the phone lines? And if so, do I just use one-foot Cat5e patch cord to this phone switch?

One of the reasons for doing it this was to have the flexibility to convert a phone line to a data line and vice-versa by just moving the patch cords from the phone switch to the data switch.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, John

Reply to
<John>
Loading thread data ...

Sure, why not? Actually, the center pair on an ethernet cable is not used, and grounded in most switches.

Hmmm, doesn't look the same, but the back has 110 insulation displacement jacks.

You mention switch. If you're truly a residence and you only have a need for 1 or 2 lines appearing at certain jacks, Rube is your friend. You can use that funny thing on the other half of your 110 blade, assuming you didint get the "combo" blade, and daisy chain the last

10-12 jacks on your patch panel together and apply dial tone to it. For RJ-14, you would use the Blue and Green pairs if the panel is 568B wired.

If you want a little more phone power, a Panasonic TAW-848 is designed to be rack mounted, or you can always pick up a 24 port patch panel and cable out any phone system to it.

Do yourself a favor and grab a different colored patch cable. We use Blue for Data and Green for phone, but YMMV.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

John wrote in part:

While not usually UL rated, I don't expect any trouble from POTS 48 VDC on any reasonable panel. Never seen any because POTS is very current limited. Ethernet transceivers have

500+V of transformer isolation rating.

Logically, yes. Physically, no. Both are terminations for crossconnect. The crossconnect looks different.

If you're not going with a SoHo PBX, then you have to buy a small passive POTS propagation module sold for New Home "Structured Wiring" boxes. Or build your own. Or wire up an "octopus".

Looping across the tops of a 110 is _so_ much easier, but a 110 for data requires crossconnect to jacks (best), or plugs on solid pigtails (not robust for movement).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

As long you don't accidentally connect the incoming telephone line to a data switch equipmentor similar you should be safe. If you happen accidentally do that connection, then there is some risk that you damage something (most often data equipment port you connected telephone to). Some equipment break more easily than some other, and the pins each service uses has to do what happens (for example Ethernet and telephone line typically are wired to use different pins on RJ-45 connector).

110 block is one type of patch panel. There are also other type of patch panels in use. For example patch panels built using RJ-45 connectors on them and Krone LSA PLUS type patch panels.

The closest equivalent to data switch would be a small PBX or a remote line card for a bigger PBX.

This wiring outlet to phone or data on need basis has been used on real life application..

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.