Resetting cable modem peculiarity

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on the following situation. I am using a Motorola 5120 cable modem with TW Earthlink. Service has been good until a couple of weeks ago when I started to have drop outs and sync losses. Initially, when a problem occurred the modem would reset itself with no intervention so the worst that would happen is that you might mess up a download or somesuch. Later on, the drop outs would be such that the modem would not be able to re-establish a connection without my disconnecting power to the modem and frequently even that wouldn't work - you would have to wait, possibly for an hour and sometimes longer and the modem would begin to work again.

The last time I had the problem the modem simply would not re-establish a good connection and was down all day and night. The next day, on a whim, in addition to disconnecting modem power, I disconnected the cable to the modem and let is sit for a while. When I hooked everything back up everything worked normally. My question is this...should temporarily disconnecting the cable have anything to do with resetting the modem to head end communications? If so, what mechanism is at play that would cause this and is it indicative of any cable, head end, or modem problems that need to be fixed?

Or, might it been a simple coincidence (doubtful in my opinion)?

thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
jim.wray
Loading thread data ...

Disconnecting the power, letting the modem sit for a few seconds, and reconnecting the power should reset the modem. But what you're describing here is a problem someplace between your modem and the headend. You should call customer support, and get them to send out a tech to check things out.

Reply to
Warren

Check your signal levels when it is working and during failures. http://192.168.100.1Values in parens are nominal operating values.

Downstream Frequency 627000000 Hz Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB (higher than 33dB) QAM 256 Network Access Control Object ON Power Level -2 dBmV (-10 and +10 dBmV)

Upstream Channel ID 3 Frequency 19500000 Hz Ranging Service ID 3041 Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s Power Level 47 dBmV (+30 and +55dBmV)

Reply to
Bit Twister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.