Question re public ip's

Hi ... I got to ask a question about public ip's. If I go and get a block of ip's with an ISP. Will that mean that if I assign those block of public ip's to any computer on the internet that machine will be separately viewable!? ... Because I am using a cable modem attached to a netgear router. If I get the router to assign my LAN the block of public ip's they are not separately viewable from the internet. The ip that I can view from the internet is the ip address of my cable modem.

I know I am doing something fundamentally wrong here.... cud some1 please cleariy this to me!

Thanks.

Reply to
me
Loading thread data ...

Why would you want to assign a series of public IP addresses to your LAN?

Reply to
Dialup

No and Yes... Base on what you wrote it sounds like you want to use your current cable connection as the gateway for your public ip's. The problem is no one will know how to get to them since the cable company is not going put those addresses into their routing tables. Even if you initiate the contact (i.e. bring up yahoo.com from one of those servers/pc) the data would not know how to get back. Secondly it hard to find an ISP that will just hand out ip addresses unless you are a customer. With that said, there are ways around it, but complicted and detailed.

Reply to
DMc

thanx for your reply ... i see what you mean ... for some reason i wasnt thinking straight probably .... for some reason i thought if a public ip was assigned to a computer on the net then it wud be viewable from there as well ... like to connect to it using that particular ip ! ............i think i need to read more up about it ....... the ways around it that you meantioned ... how complicated would they be !? ...

Reply to
me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.