Optimum Online Boost - Webserver bandwidth CAPPED!

Beware if you attempt to run a webserver on Optimum Online's new BOOST service. Although OOL allows you to run your own website on port 80 (it's not blocked), they CAP BANDWIDTH at 128 kpbs...so don't think about running anything more than a VERY basic site. Other ports aren't capped and run closer to 700-900 kpbs.

Of course, none of their advertisements mention this...but trust me, it's true. A tech support guy just confirmed it to me after I sent him several network logs.

OUTRAGEOUS!

Reply to
mike
Loading thread data ...

What do they claim to offer upstream?

Hardly ANY cable modem ISP offers anything more than 384K up on their standard service.

And, you can run a webserver on ANY port.

Lumber Cartel (tinlc) #2063. Spam this account at your own risk.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

OOL claims to offer 30 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up on their BOOST service. In the week or so that I've been using it, the most I've seen is about

18 Mbps down and 1.2 Mbps up.

The bottom line is that BOOST is not noticeably faster than their "standard" (15M down/1M up) service, and thus not worth the additional $14/mo tariff. This is especially true when you consider their ridiculous 128 kbps cap on port 80 traffic.

I'm planning to shift back to their standard service shortly.

Reply to
mike

Hell, the BEST RoadRunner offers is 8m down/512K up, and THAT is a $25 extra cost over the 5m down/384K up regular service!

Lumber Cartel (tinlc) #2063. Spam this account at your own risk.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

It's 2Mbps up on their standard service, and usually does a tiny bit better.

Ken

mike wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Nobody allows you to run a Web server on anything but a business-class plan. You want business class service at consumer grade prices.

It's in the terms of service for Cablevision and most every cable provider on the planet.

Not hardly.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.