Making Phone Calls

How can I conventional phone calls from my computer by using my cable modem, without going through a website?

Reply to
Black Adder
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps you'd get more replies if you explained what you mean by "going through a website".

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

skype, vonage, and the like

Reply to
Todd H.

I am a convert to VOIP. Here in Topeka our cable service has high speed internet and phone service. Your standard phone just plugs into the same cable modem as your computer uses. This box is made by Arris and is a telephone telephony modem. The box also has capability for a fax machine or a second phone line. I am not sure whether the whole COX network has phone service or if they are using Topeka as a testing ground. Last I knew Time Warner was trying the same thing.

Reply to
anniewarbucks

snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (anniewarbucks) wrote in news:12psfd0h4r87878 @news.supernews.com:

TimeWarner offers TW DigitalPhone(VOIP) since last fall in this area (NW Ohio). I've seen several VOIP cablemodems installed in this neighborhood. I have the Motorola SBV5220 Surfboard model. It also has the two phone line ports in the back. However, TW at this time is only offering one line capability with the possibility of enabling the second as a different number later. Fax works fine here over it. Unlimited LD both intrastate and nationally as well as several US territories and Canada 24/7 are included as are several extra cost features when I had Verizon. Right now I'm paying @24.95 per month and am quite happy with it.

There is provision for two backup batteries in the case, but TW didn't install any. Their logic is that the cable network would be down in the event of a power outage. I have it plugged into a UPS as it is. I also have cellphones.

TW does handle their VOIP offering slightly differently than Vonage or others. TW Cable handles the call until it reaches a switching station, and then the call is handed off to another regular phone service to finish it like it would be when using Verizon POTS. I'm not sure of the company that does handle it under contract for TW.

The nice part is that the phone line gets a separate IP and doesn't share bandwidth with my RoadRunner IP at all.

Reply to
John Gray

I know that Sprint has a contract with TW to do what you mentioned above, but I don't know if it's an exclusive contract, so it may vary from one area to another.

Reply to
Bill M.

Bill M. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sprint does ring a bell. Thanks.

Reply to
John Gray

Now we are launching the cable internet services on the kathmandu valley . Our services and motto is the customer satisfaction and quality services on chef price. Now we are providing the cable internet services on this location. Our services location. :

1. Lazimpate
  2. Tripurashwor
  3. New baneshwor
  4. Old Baneshwor .
  5. Bagbazar ,
  6. Dillibazar,
  7. Putalisadak
  8. Hattisar
  9. Nakshal
  10. Ashan
  11. Yakantakuna Our Services Charge : Everning 7pm to morning 7am Saturday 24 hours . No installation charge only for few days. Reserve your cable internet today Call us for more details : Call : 2390177 / 9841206820 click here for more information
    formatting link
Reply to
monika

GREAT f****ng start, SPAMMING newsgroups, dumbass...

Reply to
The Kat

I don't know - I think I'm gonna pack my stuff and take him up on it.

Hope these come out in a plain text post:

Reply to
$Bill

Perhaps you can hook me up with a good source for Hashish? When I was in college the best hash came from Nepal. Is that still your chief export?

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

I'm pretty sure Sprint handles the connection across the entire TW network. They did in NYC as well.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.