Time Warner digital phone calls 911 by itself!

I have TW digital phone and about 6 weeks ago I had a 2nd line installed (which I don't use much - only a few people know the number). I have a Durabrand model PH-5595 wired phone connected to it along with a Plantronics HL10 telephone handset lifted. Everything worked fine until yesterday. A little after 6:00 AM yesterday morning the police came to my house and said they had rec'd a 911 hangup call (from this 2nd line) and when they tried to call it back they got only static. Then last night arond midnight, the police came again and said they had rec'd a 911 hangup call and got only static when they called back. This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that someone dailed from this phone:

05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211 05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911 05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311 23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211 23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911 23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

NO ONE dialed this phone - My wife and I are the only ones here and we were asleep in the same room as the only phone connected to this number!

TW said that either someone here dialed the phone or the phone did it automatically. When I told this to the Durabrand (lenoxx) rep, he thought I was crazy and advvised that the phone could not dial a number unless I had it programed with the number, had it on speakerphone, and pressed send.

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? Any suggestions? TW told me that my phone may not be compatible and to get a new phone but it seems to me that if a phone was not compatible, it would not wait 6 weeks to show problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I apologize if this is not a proper question for this group but I did not know where else to go. I also posted this in alt.onlineservices.roadrunner

Thanks

Jerry Caywood

Reply to
jcaywood
Loading thread data ...

This used to happen quite a bit in the old pulse-dial days. Various possibilities (off the top of my head):

1) shorting phone-line wires

2) failing phone that randomly pulses

3) failing ATA that thinks it hears pulses

4) a badly secured ATA that has attracted the attention of kiddies.

The fact that the cops managed to call the phone and hear static seems to indicate that the phone (or phone wire) is partially shorted and imitates an off-hook phone.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Have TW give you a new T/A.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

AND get a UPS! (uninterruptible power supply) small power glitches can cause this sort of electronic ghost!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Do you have any pets?

Reply to
Onion Knight

Thanks to everyone for their help. The phone that was dialing by itself was only about 6 weeks old, so the batteries were new. TW said it was the phone. No way could it be their lines! Hmmm There were no kids around, no burglar alarm, no pets, nothing programed into speed-dial, nothing!

Anyway, I went to radio shack and bought a new phone and replaced the old one. I also plugged the Handset lifter into a surge protector. So far, no calls to 911 anyway. At least the cops ahven't awekened me at midnight checking on us.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Reply to
jcaywood

" snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com wrote on 25. June 2006:

May be the phone allows to block some numbers? Okay, blocking 911 is probably as bad idea in case you need to dial it, but... =2D-=20 Andreas PGP Key available on public key servers Mailfilter rules

formatting link

Reply to
Andreas Kohlbach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.