FAQ: Maximizing cable modem or DSL speed

-------snip--------------

What do you mean exactly, Aristotle?

Reply to
Kim
Loading thread data ...

-----------snip---------------

-------------------snip---------------

Precisely! That's why I admire him so much. He has nothing to do with anything yet he claims that he does. Go figure.

Reply to
Kim

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 04:20:08 GMT, Robert Redelmeier put finger to keyboard and composed:

There is no excuse for arrogance and rudeness.

Should a beggar be grateful if a passerby gives him a penny and a sneer?

The data are plentiful. Google's Usenet archives are full of examples. I myself have experienced his pomposity on many occasions. In fact he even treats his own brother with disdain. In any case the evidence is there is his own FAQ, as I have clearly pointed out in my previous post.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

That's because there doesn't need to be one.

Your assumption that these are bad traits is itself pretty arrogant. And if you, yourself, are so arrogant that you won't accept help from someone else who's arrogant, that's your problem.

When you ask for help, you have three choices: Take what comes along, including any rudeness; Put your money on the table, and be prepared to pay for what you want; or Go without accepting help. You don't get to dictate how I behave unless you're paying me to behave in a certain way. I don't need an excuse to be me, and if you don't like it, then take your high-horse arrogance and go somewhere else for help.

So if there is no excuse for arrogance, then there is no excuse for you to expect others not to be arrogant as well. You're not the boss of everyone else.

Reply to
Warren

In comp.dcom.xdsl Franc Zabkar wrote in part:

First, it is somewhat arrogant to presume rudeness when other things may have been intended. Postings tend to be telegraphic and emotions and intent is often misread.

Second, excuse is not being requested, so granting it is a moot point.

I cannot say since I have never been a beggar. I would think so.

So? You seem to consider ponposity a serious defect. I would then expect you to avoid it at all costs. However, no one can impose their values upon another. Ironically, attempting to do so might be considered pompous.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I presume you're asking about "or worse": Some people belittle others' in a diseased attempt to reinforce their own self-worth. Usually in the form of ad-hominem.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Skip the pomposity. What's your point?

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

The problem with Navvy is he doesn't give others respect. Saying things like "rubbish" in response to matters that are clearly opinion as opposed to fact, which he has done on numerous occasions, doesn't do much to give someone credibility. Almost everybody can learn something from someone, myself included, but Navvy doesn't seem to think he fits that bill. And he doesn't just do it here, but on cellular newsgroups too, which the last time I looked wasn't his area of expertise.

I have a simple litmus test I use for people like him who claim to be so great that has proven itself over the years. Many people like him claim to be geniuses but haven't even set up their own domain or professional-looking Web site. Image is a lot for a professional and a crappy Web presence piggybacking off AT&T's brand doesn't do much to build one. Not to mention a piece of prominent information on his site is troubleshooting 28.8-56K modems, which are now the minority in the Internet access market.

People whose skills and knowledge are beyond compare go on to become household names. I certainly don't claim to be the be all and end all in my business, but I do offer a simple proposition: here's what i can do and don't take my word for it, go check out my Web site and see it for yourself.

If Navvy had a little humility, it might go farther toward making fans.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Po*m*posity isn't a defect, but writing checks you can't cash makes you look ridiculous. Bill Gates can be pompous because his achievements in his industry, regardless of what you think of Windows, are beyond compare. But it begins to look a little silly when people like Navvy do it.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

In comp.dcom.xdsl Cyrus Afzali wrote in part:

I'm not sure how "writing checks you can't cash" fits in with Navas. What promises has he not performed? He _has_ achievements. Whether they justify the attitude is a question of personal values. You should expect others to differ from yours. Expecting agreement is suspicious.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Navvy's biggest issue is his ridicule of others to the point that he projects an image of superiority that, frankly, hasn't been proven in any form. Everybody has achievements of one form or another; honestly, that's not saying much.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.