Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot

"Your XFINITY Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional ?xfinitywifi?

network signal for use with XFINITY WiFi. This creates an extension of the XFINITY WiFi network right in your home that any XFINITY Internet subscriber can use to sign in and connect. This XFINITY WiFi service is completely separate from your secure WiFi home network."

Do you believe that last sentence???

Does giving access to the network with the SSID "xfinitywifi" put one's private network at risk?

Reply to
Juan Wei
Loading thread data ...

It is theoretically possible to build a an access point that would indeed do this securely, however, no software is bug free, and security is hard enough to do right in the first place. Do they supply source code? :-p

Reply to
alexd

Anything is possible, but this is pretty bog standard networking stuff, so I really wouldn't expect any significant issues.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Source code? They barely provide service!! :-P

Reply to
Juan Wei

I saw news on this yesterday. My first thought was "what nerve." You have to call up Comcast to opt out of the program. That is an energy barrier. Get on phone, mess with the stupid automated call robot, find a live human to read a script that they don't really understand, etc.

Reply to
miso

Unnecessary. See

Reply to
Juan Wei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.