Wireless router security

Hello,

I need to setup a wireless router. I would like to know if allowing connectivity by MAC Addresses filtering is secure enough. I dont want to setup the key for each machine, so I was thinking just to setup all the MAC address for the wireless devices. Is any problem with it ? Will it possible to hack the router ?

thanks,

Giovanni

Reply to
Giovanni
Loading thread data ...

MAC address filtering can be spoofed. In and of itself, it is probably very secure as those that know how to spoof it are not likely to come along and hack into your network Nethertheless, I strongly recommend you also enable encryption as well. That too can be broken, so the next thing you do is change your key on a regular basis. I personally don't use MAC filtering, I use 128 bit WEP, and I don't even bother to change it. My neighbor has a Linksys router with all defaults. The other day I was able to access his router's config pages because he didn't even change the admin password. I could have locked him out of his router, but I'm not mean enough to do that.

Reply to
Ook

MAC address filtering is simply a hurdle and lLike most hurdles, it is just a deterrent. MAC addresses can be spoofed and when you're not using your wireless device, a hacker can use the spoofed MAC address to access your net. Having said that, it is extremely important that you enable encryption, preferably WPA (via RADIUS) or WPA-PSK (TKIP or AES) using a long passphrase that contains letters, numbers and symbols. Just my two cents. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.