Wireless in Rural areas?

I was talking with a client the other day and he was wondering what options are available for people whole live in Rural area's, specifically rural Alberta. I didn't have any answers. I was wondering if people could give me some answers? I'm interested in performance and rough costs.

1) If a wireless network is reachable from a local ISP what can I expect? 2) Is anyone using satellite Internet? Is there such a thing as "high speed" or bi-directional"? 3) What technologies are available for in vehicle internet (Email and general surfing)
Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:32:56 -0500, "HotRod" wrote in :

Start with the wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

I have wireless high speed in rural Sask and I am happy with the performance and uptime. You could check out

formatting link
they have quite a few wireless towers in Alberta.

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks for the help, it doesn't look like this covers my client ranch though since they are closer to Edmonton. I'll keep hunting and see what I find.

Any ideas about invehicle access? What speed are available?

Reply to
HotRod

No idea in Canada, but I lived in a rural area in Northern Idaho, and contacted the local school to find out who they use (most schools have a wireless net, and usually have a high speed connection to the internet for the students... In my instance it was a microwave link to the top of a nearby mountain, however, about 6 months ago they added WiFi isp stuff too that people in the area could subscribe to.

As for in motion internet, are you looking at in motion sat (like in planes and cruise ships... very expensive), sat internet when you stop? Cell phone tethered to a computer or router?

Once again, there are many resources for US stuff, don't know about canadian.. But there are several groups you may want to check out

For US providers (don't know if canadian yahoo has em) at Yahoo you may want to check out

Internet by cell phone

formatting link
Internet by WiFi
formatting link
Internet by Sat
formatting link
These are all from when I lived/traveled in my RV.... Fraid they are mainly US related, have no idea if they have them for yahoo in canada.. Tried using .ca instead of .com on the above addresses, but they came up as not found..

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks.. We can get most of the same stuff you can get in the US.

Reply to
HotRod

I am using Satellite. I did a lot of research and felt that Hughesnet is the safest bet. There are people who complain about all the satellite connections, but Hughes has a good history and a large base. Satellite at it's best is delayed due to distance; it's less than perfect but close enough to work acceptably for us.

We got together as a community group and bought a business class system (.98 dish and 2watt radio). I believe that going with biz class system and account, as well as getting a good installer explains our success. We are sharing the $100 a month service among 8 users.

Right offhand I can point you to this newsgroup:

formatting link
There is very little activity there, but the expert who answers there (DonB) is one of the best and will point you along to the right places for answers on satellite internet.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.