WiFi or Bluetooth to Powered Down Axim?

Lately, I've been noticing wireless activity on my old dell axim -- after turning it off for the night! The lights will start to flicker, and because it was sitting near the tv set both times, I'm able to deactivate the wireless soon after the access(?) began.

Is there a method now to access a shut-down computer, over bluetooth or something?

Just wondering...

Reply to
K. M. Kirby
Loading thread data ...

"K. M. Kirby" hath wroth:

Yes, but I'm not sure your "old Dell Axim" qualifies. (Translation: Duz it got a muddle number)?

Also, which lites go flicker and what does the TV set have to do with this? What are you doing with the TV to "deactivate" the Axim? How can you tell there's "wireless activity"? The flickering lights might indicate anything from a dying battery to 2.4GHz garbage reception. (Translation: Make an effort to be clearer as to what's happening and what you're doing).

The technology is called "Wake on Lan" or "Magic Packet". The computer leaves the power applied to the network interface when turned off. When the ethernet, BlueGoof, or wireless device receives the proper packet, the machine wakes up. For example, I can "wake up" my PDA phone (XV6700) using Bluetooth or IrDA.

I have no clue if your unspecified model Dell Axim supports WOL but it looks like it just might:

Hmmm... looks like it will send a WOL packet, but doesn't receive. Maybe not.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, Jeff.

The flickering blue & yellow-green lights on my x30 may have been garbage reception from a neighboring room. The only thing my tv has to do with this, perhaps, is that the flickering caught my attention immediately -- both nights. By disabling wireless before going home, the strange lights seem to have gone away.

kk

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
K. M. Kirby

"K. M. Kirby" hath wroth:

Ok, it's an X30. The blue light is the Bluetooth function and should be always on if the Bluetooth is enabled. If there's a Bluetooth device trying to connect nearby, it will flash. The green light is the WiFi section. Same thing as Bluetooth. If there's activity, it will flash. According to several reviews, turning them both on at the same time result in mutual interference and rapid battery drain.

Incidentally, I wanted to buy an X30 a while back from a friend. However, he managed to destroy the charging connector before he could sell it to me. Careful, it's fragile. This was not my idea of fun:

However, it worked when I was done and we mutually agreed that I didn't want it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

An x30 is okay for coffeeshop web access, when it's in landscape mode. Much better than the x3 w/card, although blogs and ebay still get stuck in the slow, flash memory build. No flash video, either.

I'm still wondering -- can it be turned on with bluetooth to get its browser read by strangers?

Reply to
K. M. Kirby

I now have a Verizon XV6700. Also no Flash video, no Java, but most everything else works well. 802.11b only so it's a bit slow.

Dunno. I'm sure someone has figured out how to turn it into a wi-fi to Bluetooth bridge. That should do the trick. However, I'm a bit busy to do the necessary research right now.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.