Wifi connection dropping or timeout ....

Hi,

I have a linux server with a netgear WG311 wifi pci card installed. The

idea is that this server can sit in a cupboard and connect to (and be connected to), through my netgear DG834G wifi router. The problem is that the linux server keeps dropping off the network, unable to ping, etc.

When I get a console on the server and run iwconfig it says that it's not connected, with no signal strength, etc. If I reboot, it's fine for

a while and then just drops off.

Theres no issue with proximity.... it's going through 1 wall and about

10 feet, when connected it gets 100% signal strength.

I'm using linuxant driver which is installed on a linux 2.4.21-144 kernel (custom built from Suse 9 src). The card is running in "managed"

(same as infrastructure mode I think)

Everything works, it's just the connection dropping thats driving me mad. I must stress I'm using the box as a server, and not as a client.

For more info here is what iwconfig says: -

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"GRENADA" Nickname:"gandalf" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.417GHz Access Point:

00:0F:B5:51:33:EC Bit Rate=54Mb/s Tx-Power=10 dBm RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2312 B Encryption key:off Power Management:off Link Quality:94/94 Signal level:-37 dBm Noise level:-154 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

As you can see link Quality is not bad(!)

I'd appreciate any advice greatly.

Many thanks,

James.

Reply to
jwgtalbot
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.