Wi-Fi (WPA, Windows XP) still isn't ready for prime time!

Just set up a new Acer Aspire One netbook (damn nice machine BTW, only $320 delivered from PC Connection for the slim version with extended battery, plus $25 to upgrade the memory to 2 GB) for a friend to use while traveling.

The friend just called me from the hotel because of "limited connectivity". Turned out the hotel uses WPA, which is good, but was a bit vague about the key (PSK), which my friend entered in upper case since the network SSID was in upper case (!), which didn't work because the real key is lower case.

My bitch is about the stupid "limited connectivity" message from Windows XP -- it should clearly report that the key didn't match so real people would have some clue what to do.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

~ ~ ~ Just set up a new Acer Aspire One netbook (damn nice machine BTW, only ~ $320 delivered from PC Connection for the slim version with extended ~ battery, plus $25 to upgrade the memory to 2 GB) for a friend to use ~ while traveling. ~ ~ The friend just called me from the hotel because of "limited ~ connectivity". Turned out the hotel uses WPA, which is good, but was a ~ bit vague about the key (PSK), which my friend entered in upper case ~ since the network SSID was in upper case (!), which didn't work because ~ the real key is lower case. ~ ~ My bitch is about the stupid "limited connectivity" message from Windows ~ XP -- it should clearly report that the key didn't match so real people ~ would have some clue what to do. ~ ~

That tells me that W Connection problem Click to open Intel Wireless Troubleshooter for help.

When I click there, I get:

WPA/WPA2 - Personal authentication failed Authentication failed due to incorrect security password (key).

- Check access point or wireless router settings or click here to reenter security password

- Follow these recommended steps to resolve the issue

When I click on "click here", I get a little window asking me to reenter my preshared key.

So ... I don't see why you're griping about Wi-Fi. Should be complaining to the applicable Microsoft group. (Although, to be fair, XP is pretty ancient.)

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:01:04 -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote in :

security password

Intel PROset is better than Windows XP, but that's small comfort to those who don't have an Intel Wi-Fi chip.

Lenovo (IBM) ThinkVantage Access Connections is likewise better than Windows XP, and has the advantage over Intel of working with multiple chip vendors, but that's small comfort to those who don't have a Lenovo machine.

Everyone else has to rely on Windows XP, and these alternatives emphasize the inadequacy of Windows XP in this area

I'm griping about Wi-Fi because meaningful WPA PSK is a royal and archaic pain in the ass for the average user.

I do blame Microsoft, but complaining would be a waste of time, and I mostly blame computer manufacturers who rely on Windows XP instead of either using Intel Wi-Fi chips or developing their own alternatives to ThinkVantage Access Connections.

Not nearly as ancient as the concept of passwords, and XP is the current OS on new netbooks, at least until Windows 7 takes over from the Vista nightmare.

Reply to
John Navas

On 10 Sep 2009, John Navas posted some news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're saying a configuration utility is better than an OS?

BTW, I use XP wireless all the time, native XP support. If I put an incorrect WPA key in, it prompts me to reenter the key by presenting the box again. Intel BG2200, Proset not used, WZC only.

Reply to
RZero

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.