third party firmware

I was trying to upgrade to 3rd party firmware and now I can't revert back to the orginal firmware. the area where you click to go to original firmware is partially blanked out. so I can't click on factory defaults. If can't revert back at this location, how can I correct this problem? I want to extend my wireless reach by seeting up the second router as a repeater with third party firmware.

using wrt54g win xp sp2

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
jaybird1117
Loading thread data ...

Try Linksys for firmware.

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

Got get the tftp program at ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe You can use it to flash a different firmware (original or otherwise). Have you tried to reset the router (push the reset button in back with a paperclip or I use the point of a mechanical pencil)? Which version of the WRT54G do you have? I've had good luck with the firmware available at

formatting link
I recently flashed my v5 WRT54G and was able to use the device as a wireless bridge - something the stock Linksys firmware would not allow.

Reply to
jch

Yes, I have used the tftp and held the reset for a minute or two. It will not reset to the original or anything.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
jaybird1117

ok thanks in advance

formatting link

Reply to
jaybird1117

OK. I assume you're connected directly to the device via RJ45 and that you have your computer set to an IP in the same subnet (eg 192.168.1.x). Power down the device and be ready with the TFTP program. Power up the device and immediately attempt to TFTP the firmware.

Reply to
jch

Your question is so general as to indicate that you have no idea what you are doing.

You need to figure out which 3rd party firmware you're using, go to the site, determine which version works with your router. Which version of the wrt54g do you have?

Then ask the people that work with that firmware on that forum, why release xxx.xxx won't install on wrt54g version X, even though you did X.

Yes, DD-WRT is recommended. You should read up on what you are doing and hope you didn't brick your router by doing it the "easy" way !

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

no such luck. Not a problem though.

thanks

jay

formatting link

Reply to
jaybird1117

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.