SSID hiding?

/* Wireless SSID Broadcast. This feature allows the primary SSID to be broadcast on your network. You may want to enable this function while configuring your network, but make sure that you disable it when you are finished.

With this enabled, someone could easily obtain the SSID information with site survey software and gain unauthorized access to your network. Click Enabled to broadcast the primary SSID to all wireless devices in range. Click Disabled to increase network security and prevent the primary SSID from being seen on networked PCs.

*/

Are they just behind the times?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

No, because it was always bad advice and was never endorsed by the truly knowledgeable -- a description that unfortunately doesn't always apply to those who write consumer manuals.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Why do you think disabling SSID broadcast is a truly effective security measure? Isn't that information detectable by any packet sniffer?

Reply to
optikl

I don't. The OP quoted language from the Linksys manual that recommends it and then asked whether the manual was just behind the times. The OP's question implied that the manual's advice may have been considered good in the past but that opinions had changed since it was written. My response was to the effect that the manual jad always been wrong from the moment it was written.

As a security measure, SSID hiding is almost worthless -- certainly not worth the trouble it can cause.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Reply to
optikl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.