Ricochet Question

I recently signed up for Ricochet in Denver. The speed is OK (115.2 kbps), although not outstanding. Anyway, I notice the system sets itself up as the computer's default ISP and, when me and my laptop are outside the coverage area or just want a faster connection at a 'net cafe within the coverage area, it refuses to allow connections elsewhere. There must be a way to switch on and switch off Ricochet easily, but how? Thanks!

W : )

Reply to
wordsmith
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com hath wroth:

Since you didn't mention the operating system, I'll assume Windoze XP Home as only XP users don't bother to mention their operating system. (Sherlock Holmes would be proud).

Go unto: Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections Check the box: "Never Dial a connections" This will prevent dialing the default ISP.

When you need to connect to Ricochet, find the dialer under: Start -> Settings -> Network and Dialup Connections where you probably will find a Ricochet connection icon.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Neglected to mention the system. Sorry. You're a gentleman. Thanks.

W : )

Reply to
wordsmith

snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com hath wroth:

Who me? Surely you jest. Judging by my fan email, I'm the current candidate for Satan's personal representative in this newsgroup.

It's quite easy to deduce what operating system is being used. The easiest way is to look at the users header and extract the: | X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe) header line. Looks like Ouchlook Express on W2K or XP.

However, it's more fun to deduce the operating system from the message contents. The general pattern is:

Windoze XP Home: Embarrassed to admit they're running Windoze. Probably also doesn't know whether it's Home or XP. Always listed as "fully updated" which usually means they've never run Windoze Update to see what they're missing.

Mac OS/X: Never mention OS/X by name, but does mention a variety of Mac specific applications such as Safari browser. Since Apple changes industry technical terms with impunity, many terms mentioned are Apple specific. For example, it's not a wireless router, it's an Airport.

Linux: Never mentions the specific Linux distribution, mutation, or release version, but usually mentions something about the evils of Microsoft and the joy of not paying for anything. Requests for information and drivers will always be followed by the requirements that everything must be free of charge. Hardware is required to be open source firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.